Getting carded to purchase Alcohol

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just a fun topic. What are your thoughts on automatically getting carded to purchase alcohol regardless of age?
    More and more place are doing this now as if an ID is required drink. Thoughts?

desperado

which of these guys would you card ?

Attachments:
    1. ritter-labamba.jpg

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Shouldn’t be an issue. If you’re old enough to drink, you should be old enough to have an ID on you. I’d rather see it be stricter than less carding.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

No biggie to me. Might seem ridiculous at a certain age, but it’s a small inconvenience and the establishment/server is just covering their butt.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Doesn’t bother me. I see it from an employer’s point of view. You have employees potentially doing something that the company can be held liable for and the liability can be big. The cost of serving someone underage is potentially very large and I can understand the desire to minimize individual employee judgment calls that could be wrong.

Also, I’ve wondered if the insurance carriers aren’t behind this? To insure a business that serves, they require a “card everyone” policy?

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Doesn’t bother me. I see it from an employer’s point of view. You have employees potentially doing something that the company can be held liable for and the liability can be big. The cost of serving someone underage is potentially very large and I can understand the desire to minimize individual employee judgment calls that could be wrong.

Also, I’ve wondered if the insurance carriers aren’t behind this? To insure a business that serves, they require a “card everyone” policy?

Grouse

The problem I have is that you are suggesting that a law is required for this to happen.

If I were a private establishment owner and really try thought it would reduce risk, I would do it anyway.

Same goes for that insurance provider.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Over the last 20 years I’ve seen it become more common. Not as a law, but businesses implementing a “50 or younger rule”. Not specific to 50, but the point being where it is obvious. I’m all for kids having a good time. But if we can keep them a little safer and make dumb decisions a bit harder to make, why not.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The other reason they want to see your ID is to make sure you are not restricted from buying or using alcohol by court order. If you get a DUI (In Minnesota) and get issued the Whiskey plates, your license may have the restriction printed on the back of your license in the Restrictions area. The store could be held criminally and financially liable if that person were to injure or kill someone after you sold them the booze.

-J.

The main reason establishments are now ID’ing all customers is due to the utilization of a “B” card license in MN, which is a no alcohol restriction on your license for as long as you possess a valid drivers license.

Habitual offender of DWI’s are now given a choice; you can either drink and lose your license, or drive and have a permanent alcohol restriction on your license which essentially means not a drop.

As Jon said, just as serving an underage person, there’s a stiff fine for establishments that serve B-Card carriers as well.

live2fishmillelacs
    Blaine, MN

Just to stir the pot a little bit: Well they may not be able to buy alcohol
    without an ID but at least they can vote! Grrr Rant done

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I don’t mind getting carded. The cashier/bartender/waitress/establishment is just covering their butt.

I thought B-Cards are no consumption restrictions on the holder. Unless something has changed recently, the establishments can’t be held responsible for selling/serving to B-Card holders unless the person is visibly intoxicated (the same as other people).

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

In Minnesota, they will arrest, charge and prosecute the “Person” who made the sale.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

171.09 DRIVING RESTRICTIONS; AUTHORITY, VIOLATIONS.
    Subdivision 1.Authority; violations.

(a) The commissioner, when good cause appears, may impose restrictions suitable to the licensee’s driving ability or other restrictions applicable to the licensee as the commissioner may determine to be appropriate to assure the safe operation of a motor vehicle by the licensee.

(b) Pursuant to Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, section 383.95, if an applicant for a commercial driver’s license either does not successfully complete the air brake component of the knowledge test, or does not successfully complete the skills test in a vehicle equipped with air brakes as such tests are prescribed in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, part 384, the department shall indicate on the class C, class B, or class A commercial driver’s license, if issued, that the individual is restricted from operating a commercial motor vehicle equipped with air brakes.

(c) The commissioner shall restrict the operating privileges of a holder of a class A, class B, or class C commercial driver’s license in accordance with Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, sections 383.73 and 383.95.

(d) The commissioner may restrict the operating privileges of a holder of a class A, class B, or class C commercial driver’s license to the extent that the restrictions are authorized by section 221.0314, subdivision 3 or 3a, or rules adopted under those subdivisions or section 221.031.

(e) Upon receiving satisfactory evidence of any violation of the restrictions on the license, the commissioner may suspend or revoke the license. A license suspension under this section is subject to section 171.18, subdivisions 2 and 3.

(f) A person who drives, operates, or is in physical control of a motor vehicle while in violation of the restrictions imposed in a restricted driver’s license issued to that person under this section is guilty of a crime as follows:

(1) if the restriction relates to the possession or consumption of alcohol or controlled substances, the person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor; or

(2) if the restriction relates to another matter, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(g) It is a misdemeanor for a person who holds a restricted license issued under section 171.306 to drive, operate, or be in physical control of any motor vehicle that is not equipped with a functioning ignition interlock device certified by the commissioner.
    Subd. 2.

[Expired, 2005 c 136 art 18 s 11]
    Subd. 3.No-alcohol restriction.

(a) As used in this subdivision, “impaired driving incident” has the meaning given in section 169A.03, subdivision 22.

(b) Upon proper application by a person having a valid driver’s license containing the restriction that the person must not consume alcohol or controlled substances, who has not been documented as having consumed alcohol or having possessed or used a controlled substance within the past ten years, and whose driving record contains no impaired driving incident within the past ten years, the commissioner must remove the no-alcohol/controlled substance restriction on the person’s driving record and issue to the person a duplicate driver’s license that does not show that restriction.

big_g
    Isle, MN

wow BK… thanks for typing all “that” out…. rotflol

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What did he ^^ say?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont know if I buy the story about a seller getting in trouble for selling to someone with a restricted license because outside of the metro you don’t see any of this happening. Up north you can still get to-go cups for crying out loud…..

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Mike, same thing goes for cigs to under age buyers. The person selling can be arrested and charged. It is the law. How they actually enforce it is another story.

If I was a store owner, I’d be making sure all of the clerks know the law and possible consequences.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The person selling can be arrested and charged.

I know two clerks, one that sold off sale and another that served a beer to an under cover minor. Both lost their jobs at the time. No charges I don’t believe.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I know when the law first went into effect a few years ago, the St Paul cops did go out and bust a few people for selling cigs to minors. They even had the camera crews from the local tv stations along to make their point.

I would have to believe getting the employee fired is what they want to see. End of problem!

-J.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I don’t mind getting carded but I feel like it doesn’t really happen too often. I’m only 24, so I feel like I should still be carded every time but I would guess I’m only carded about 25% of the time. Whether it was a few years ago when buying a case or going to a bar once a week was normal, or now in the “grown up” life when buying a case once or twice a year and going to a bar once every few months ha.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

While in Hawaii a short while ago we stop at abc stores to get a bottle of brew for Ma and I saw signs all over saying “we card all alcohol purchasers. So I asked they lady at the checkout about her not carding me. “Ya, right’ she said with a smile. Bald, gray where there is any hair and a white beard must have convinced her that I was beyond the age.

rmartin
    United States

Getting carded is better than the cashier just assuming that you qualify for the “senior discount”.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I am 57. been carded 3 times in my life. and never when I was underaged!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

While in Hawaii a short while ago we stop at abc stores to get a bottle of brew for Ma and I saw signs all over saying “we card all alcohol purchasers. So I asked they lady at the checkout about her not carding me. “Ya, right’ she said with a smile. Bald, gray where there is any hair and a white beard must have convinced her that I was beyond the age.

so tom ya got all that sand outta between your toes yet????????? devil hopiny ya had fun!!!!!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Had a great time Glenn. Thanks! My sunburn is gone but Ma’s tan lines are still pretty vivid

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When they card me on a Sunday at walgreens its a little annoying.

Amiright Wisconsin! *high5*

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

An old man walks into his local corner store using a walking cane where he’s bought groceries and his medicine for 45 years. One day he decided he wants a swig of Apricot brandy and buys himself a pint. The old man walks up to the checkout and the cashier says hello Jim how are you today and he says fine and the cashier adds up all his items. She then says Jim do you have an ID and he says what do you want to see that for, you already know who I am. The cashier says its because of a new law we have to check your ID. Dumfounded he then says Why, won’t those people believe you as I’ve known you for 45 years. She then says I’m sorry Jim its a technicality and he asks why again and the cashier says we have to check your age. He says what, you know I’m 83 years old and she says I know. The cashier then says oh forget about it because I know how old you are. The cashier says I know the people who make these laws have no common sense,,,and Jim says ya I know, and were paying them good money not to use it.

Slowly turning and looking back after showing his ID theres 6 older women behind waiting to get checked out and he says to them,,,well gals this will make your day because your going to look 18 to the blind government today,,,and walks out of the store.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.