Garmin ECHOmap 73SV Chirp conversion……

• derekchristie

Has anyone successfully converted this unit to ice fishing? Garmin is now offering an ice kit including an updated transducer, BUT they want $400 for it!!…. That’s not much less than I paid for the entire unit and the same price as a guy can get a Striker 5 ice bundle, seems absolutely ridiculous. They do however sell a portable kit (minus the transducer) for $100, BUT of course they don’t have one for the Echomap 7’s, only the Echomap 5’s and Striker 7’s.

Besides having to purchase either of the $100 or $160 transducers that they offer, what else would be needed? The Garmin site is pretty limited on what is needed for pin adapters for either of the transducers.

What bases/carrying kits have you guys mounted this unit on? I’m trying to do this as inexpensive as possible since it was a struggle to the Ball-&-Chain’s OK to purchase the unit in the first place.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

snelson223
    Austin MN

When I talked to Danny Thompson at the ice show it sounded like you needed to update your unit too. I have the exact same unit in the boat but I was hearing guys not being able to get it to work for ice fishing so I went i different route. It’s kind of spendy for something that could be questionable if it works.

Justin Radel

I bought a 73cv last year and converted it to an ice fishing unit. The thing works great, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Justin Radel

Here is a list of the parts I used and what ot looks like.

Attachments:
    1. 20170209_113157.jpg

2. 20170209_114720.jpg

kayl

When I talked to Danny Thompson at the ice show it sounded like you needed to update your unit too. I have the exact same unit in the boat but I was hearing guys not being able to get it to work for ice fishing so I went i different route. It’s kind of spendy for something that could be questionable if it works.

You just need to do a firmware update because the GT10HN-IF transducer is a new transducer. Takes 2 minutes.

derekchristie

Justin, will the soft carry bag zip all the way with the 7″ unit in it?

Has anyone had experience with the GT10 vs the GT8 transducers? Is the GT10 worth the extra $60?

I’m debating on this below, cutting off the mounting arms, and putting a bail mount on it. I’ll still be $220-$250 into the set up after battery, transducer, adapter cable, power cable, bail mount, and carry case.

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/locators-flashers-depth-finders/locatorcamera-accessories/vexilar-pro-ii-portable-carrying-case

papaperch

If you guys really want to save money. Use a bucket square or round as a base for your unit that you are converting. Use the money you save to buy a lifepo4 battery as in the Dakota group buy.

You will have a mounted unit that is easily visible while sitting.Not have to kneel like you see on so many videos. Also great if you like to hole hop.

Battery goes in inside of course for normal use. Very cheap to make and makes for easy and relaxing use.

papaperch

Similar idea but using milk crate. Unit was a Humminbird 798

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I bought a 73cv last year and converted it to an <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing unit. The thing works great, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

What kind of battery run time do you see with your unit?

Anyone ran one of there’s next to a lowrance unit?

Justin Radel

I have never put it to a complete test. I easily get a full day out of my batteries. When I get home after fishing all day (dawn till midnight) the battery still has 50 to 60 % left.

derekchristie

Those both look like they’d work well, but I’d like something a little more compact that you can hole hop with 2 hands; rod and flasher. Maybe I’m asking too much for a 7″ unit as it really isn’t compact anyway.

I have watched some Garmin promoted videos with, I believe, Garmin Reps using a 7″ unit attached to a Vexilar Genz pack. Not the best promoting there, but gave me an idea……

papaperch

Handle on top not shown in pic. Actually easier to hole hop with this than any shuttle. Have used shuttles in the past. Gave them up after using bucket mount.

Justin Radel

Those both look like they’d work well, but I’d like something a little more compact that you can hole hop with 2 hands; rod and flasher. Maybe I’m asking too much for a 7″ unit as it really isn’t compact anyway.

I have watched some Garmin promoted videos with, I believe, Garmin Reps using a 7″ unit attached to a Vexilar Genz pack. Not the best promoting there, but gave me an idea……

so the soft pack and the mount they sell for the 5 will work for the 7. You have to drill your own hole because they wont line up but it works just fine i have had nothing but good things to say about my unit. And the fact that it works in shallow water as well as deep,I love. Danny Thompson is a great resource and super helpful, gis is very busy and it does take him a while to respond but he has always gotten back to me. He even helped me out with adjusting the settings for ice fishing.

derekchristie

Posted this on IceShanty as well;

I ended up ordering a Garmin soft carry case $16, portable handle base $15, GT8HW transducer $100, 4 to 12 pin adaptor $20, power cable $22, and quick bail mount $25.

IF it works I’ll be able to quick detach from boat and quick attach to ice unit for about $200. If I like it enough I’ll end up selling my Vex FL22. I’ll post once I get it all set up and running.

I’ll see how it runs on a regular flasher 12v7ah battery, but may upgrade to a 12ah battery. It likely wont fit in the slot, but I can maybe strap it in.

impactblu

I currently have my 73SV mounted on a marcum pack as a scouting machine with only the panoptix sonar on it and not the ice transducer.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4688.jpg

I have my Echomap mounted to the Marcum Lithium Shuttle, and put it all in a Clam Bag. Had to rig it with spacers to the shuttle because the Garmin gimbal bracket is so wide that it covers the charging port.

Attachments:
    1. echomap-on-shuttle.jpg

2. echomap-in-bag.jpg

duckme3

So how does the flasher work compared to a vexilar? Also can someone post the back of the unit? Interested as to how the power hooks up. Does it clip on like on my boat? Thanks.

Also any info on how well it has been working would be great!!!

duckme3

Do you like it more than the Fl22 vex?? Considering doing the same

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Easy – Genz Box and Ice Ducer and Power Cord. Call it $140 to convert or put on a Marcum Lithium Shuttle. I’ve been using mine for a while (Non Chirp 73SV) – Works pretty good, but not as good as my previous Helix model for some reason, more bouncing of depth and reading difficulty. I love having maps side by side though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.