How’s the bite?

• guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hi All,
    The walleye action has been very good all this last week. I have been fishing primarily in the Mckinley park area of Big Bay, along with many other anglers. The ice conditions aren’t perfect, but we have about 10″ in most areas of Big bay.
    Jigs and spoons have been very effective for me all week and I have also had a few fish hit sonars when the walleyes are real active. Tip-ups have been good for both walleyes and Pike, with a plain hook sucker minnow setup. Warm temps have made several of the back bays very sloppy and there isn’t much clear ice anywhere. Caution is the word of the day, venturing out in the mainlake could be dangerous, if your not careful.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Whats the latest up there Big T?

guideman

Hey D,
    The walleyes have slowed a bit recently and they are moving out to deeper water. 25 to 35ft seems to be the best right now, glo jigs and spoons tipped with a fathead or tip-ups with a sucker and a plain hook.

The best time to be out is daybreak and sunset, the daylight bite can be tough, unless your willing to move around alot. Mainlake points with gravel or the deep transition areas, are the key locations to try.

guideman

Hi All,

The walleye action has slowed a bit in recent days due to some major weather changes. However it is still good around the peak times of the day. Early morning and late afternoon until dark have been good for me this week. I had the pleasure of fishing with the best ice guide on Vermilion this week. His name is Cliff Wagenbach (Ciff’s Guide Service) and we had a pretty good day, despite the less than perfect conditions.

Small glow spoons and 1/4 oz airplane jigs in bright colors, were very effective for us.

We were fishing in 32ft of water, in the McKinley park area of Big bay. We concentrated on points off of a few mainlake reefs in the area. Chubs, shiners and a few suckers all caught fish for us, I was using the whole minnow but Cliff was fishing with just a head.

Only a few weeks left for the walleyes so you better get out there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.