I’ll see you in Aug.

• freeke2

Hey Terry!
    It’s Don and I’m pleased to inform you that me and 3 friends are booked for the week of 8/9 thru 8/16 at the Glenmore right across the bay. I can’t recall exactly which weekend Kevin and I were up last year but I think it was in that ballpark, I was awfully pleased with the results of that last trip and I’m hoping for a repeat!! If I catch another 52 in muskie they can bury me a happy man! My friends have seen the picture and it was REALLY easy to talk them into a trip to Big V.
    The guy at the Glenmore seems real nice, LeRoy I think? Anyway, it’s way too far off but at least I have that to get me through these last couple of months of winter. Fish all day, poker all night! I can’t wait!!

Don

guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hi Don,Thats great news pal, I’ll get my poker chips ready and plan on catching some big ski’s that week. look forward to spending a few days in the boat with you guys.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Hey Freeke:
    Looks like my partner and I will be following you up to the “Big V”.
    We will be up there Aug 19-25th.
    Never been up there, myself. So I will be hoping for some tips and suggestions about that time. We are staying at Moccosin Point.
    Thought a good central area would be a good place to start.
    We will be after anything that swims. Eyes. bass, northerns,
    Muskies, Oh and I can’t leave out the pan fish.
    I’ll be talking to you.
    Chappy342

guideman

Hey Chappy,
    August is a great time to fish the Big V,for just about anything that swims. The walleyes are real hot in August and the bass and Muskie action is second to none.
    See ya then!

clarence_chapman

Been awhile since I’ve been on the site.
    Thanks for the incurraging words. Looks like my GPS might get a work out. What’s it like navigating the lake?

guideman

Hey Chap,
    The map is more intimidating than the real thing.
    You will be close to lots of great water, so running all over the lake, won’t be necessary.

freeke2

Well Chappy, I fished the big V real hard for 3 1/2 days this last weekend and not 1 musky on my hook. In fact, we had very few follows, no big hook-ups and 2 small muskies in the boat(34.5 inches and one we didn’t even measure). I did get together with a 38in Northern though, quite pleased with that one. The best day was the last and I have a sneaking suspicion that Musky Tom and Ace are up there hooking 50 inchers right now. We had a lot of big follows and just happened to be in the bay when Musky Tom and clients(with film crew!) brought in a 50 incher and then another muskie about 2 minutes later. I’m sure when the show airs you’ll be able to see glimpses of the 2 jealous guys in the background shaking their heads and wondering why those fish weren’t in OUR boat….we had just fished the same spot.
    In any event, my guess is that the muskies on Vermilion are on the move and will be ready for my friends and I on the 9th and we’ll be sure to leave a few for you to hook up with later in the month.
    Oh yeah, saw lots of real nice smallies. I even caught one on a large bucktail, I expected a real monster but it was just your average smallie. Scrappy little buggers…..

clarence_chapman

Hey guideman:
    Been hearing that the fishing has been tough due to some crayfish exotics that are taking over the lake.
    some friends of mine said they had a real bad time trying to get some fish in the boat.
    Any suggestions for my trip in a few weeks?
    Thanks

clarence_chapman

Was on Big Mantrap last weekend. Had a big mother follow my bucktail up to the boat. Was so infactuated in watching the darn thing that when it bite I was dumbfounded and forgot to set the hook.
    Good to hear that the fishing is doing better then when my friends were up there.

freeke2

Hey Chappy,

I’m still quite succeptable to Muskie hypnosis myself. When those things just rise up out of the murk like some living submarine it really blows me away. Especially if it’s a really big one( and they look so much bigger in the water!!). I hate to admit it but I almost always forget to figure8 until it’s too late.

Just seeing a huge muskie makes my heart pound, I hope that never changes….

guideman

Hey Chap,
    The bite hasn’t been that bad, you just have to know where to go and what to do. The bass and the muskie action has been hot lately and the walleyes have been getting better every day.

Mainlake reefs and gravel bars are holding walleyes and the bass are everywhere Docks, points, reeds, and shorline rubble. Throw cranks, plastics, jigs or just about anything that moves.

clarence_chapman

heyt guideman:
    Headed up there tomorrow morning ( Wed).
    Whats the latest on the fishing.
    We are staying at Moccosin Point. Any good spots near there to get started on?
    Thanks
    Clarence

guideman

Hey Chap,
    I just sent you an e-mail that should help you catch a few fish. Have a great time on the Big V.

clarence_chapman

Hey guys.

Here’s my Big V report.

The fishing really sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to keep taking fish off the hook all the time!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the tips. You are right though the map is a little more intimidating than it really is.

After the downpour on Weds. evening I thought for sure the fishing would be terrible. But Thurs. the fish were just jumping on the raps. Caught some nice 2-2.5lbs eyes and smallies and a couple of northerns on the shoreline east of Moc Point along the houses before the bridge. 4-6 ft of water. Ended up switching to rattle traps. Fished all weekend with them. If you have one use a brite shinny gold one

Man I was bummed when I lost that lure to a rock.

Caught to many smallies to count. Wife won’t let me down that she caught the biggest northern. 28″

We had a great time.

Ace did you have a party of 4 with you out by Frectos Pt. on Friday?

Saw a boat that matched your discription but couldn’t get close enough to ya.

Anyways thanks for the tips guys.

Rest assured we’ll be back next year.

Clarence

Oh ya…. What’s up with those crayfish. Man!!!!!! They grabbed onto everything including moving plugs.

Had on smally spit one at me.

Moc pt ran out of leeches. Do the crayfish hit on those as much?

MTNet
    Champlin

Thanks for reporting. H-mmm, a shiny gold ralltle trap… We’re heading up Saturday morning.

Those Rusty Crayfish are agressive and will take a leech, minnow, crawler…any live bait. On the positive side, their population seems to be beginning to crash, and hopefully, the weed beds will grow back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.