Smallmouth action “HOT”!

• guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hi All,
    The smallmouth action here on the Big V has been fantastic lately. I have been pounding them on surface baits all week. They have also been responding well to crawdad pattern crankbaits and inline spinners.

The dock bite has also been very good on jigs, tubes and flukes in a variety of colors. Water temps are hovering in the mid to high 70’s so they are very active much of the day.
    Have fun!

“Ace”

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I will be making a trip here in the first part of oct. What will be some things I should bring? Patterns, Techniques? I am strictly catch and release.

Thanks a bunch
    Bassman

scottys
    Eagan, MN

Live bait for smallmounth Suckers are the best on a lindy rig. Last year I was up there and caught 50-60 in the last part of Sept. what a blast.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

On my way up there in the morning. Will be up there through Sunday.
    I will try to get a report in when I get back.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Didn’t have a bad weekend. I don’t know if anyone was watching the news. Weds PM we got 3″ of rain right after we got our campsite set up. We did manage to get out and do a little trolling that evening and managed 6 13-16 inchers.

The bite was good for walleyes but was a little off on the Smallies. I usually catch just as many of them as I do the eyes in the area that I troll but caught none.

The weather was ok temp wise but the rain kept sticking it’s nose in there.

Friday PM the weather changed and the eyes seemed to not want to take my offerings. Tried leachs in the Fectos point area. Got some nice eaters but they were a little slow.

Sat the eyes seemed to turn on and even picked up a 32″ slimmer that the wife was excited to catch. Started catching some smallies also.

That evening everything seemed to shut down again.

Heard stories of people doing well on the smallies casting but didn’t have a lot of opportunity to cast so am satisfied with the trip. Over all we caught a ton of 13 inch fish. A couple of years from now there should be some dynamite fishing.

Quick story… Was in the fish cleaning shack yesterday and this guy walks in with his landing net over his shoulder, proud as can be. I couldn’t see what he had in the net so peaked over the wall. OH got a couple eyes and some perch HUH?

NOpe they are all eyes. He said.

Now folks I know people get hungry for eyes but for crying out loud a 10-12″ is fish.

Lenth limit on Big V? OH yea, when you see stuff like that you can see why we need it up there.

Put me down for a 15″ length limit Terry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.