Rainy lake ice?

• timmy

Looking to possibly make a run up there on Saturday – probably out of the Ranier area. Any reports on the ice/snow/slush conditions?

Tim

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Ice conditions are not good yet on Sand Bay. We had a lot of rain last fall so the lake level is up and current is a factor. There is also snow insulating the ice. Nobody I know has taken wheelers, snow machines or even walked out yet very far at all. The locals are currently going west.

I was over over to LOW in the Pine Island area yesterday and there was 12″ everywhere we went and the resorts were bringing houses out steady all day with Samuri’s/Trackers. I’d be surprised if there aren’t at least small pickups driving out by the weekend but would still bring wheelers or snow machines to be safe unless you hear differently from the resort owners there.

So… if LOW is an option for you that would be my advice.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

I was out this afternoon for the 1st time on Rainy. We went out from Sha Sha and fished Rainy Lake City for 4 hours this afternoon. We drilled through 9″ of ice but could see slush to the NE. I caught a 5 lb pike and 15″ walleye and missed a couple more and my bro caught his limit of walleyes – 15″ average – and threw back a few small ones.
    Most everybody is on snow machines and wheelers. There was a report of somebody plowing yesterday on Sand Bay that went through in 28′.
    Bottom line – you can get out but best stay where there are tracks unless you’re walking and checking frequently. Ice thickness is being reported anywhere from dangerous to 14″.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

We’re finally starting to get some decent ice. There are roads plowed in Sand bay and out from the Tilson Bay landing and about 12-16″ of ice. But not all over! There are plenty of spots with slush and thin ice. Stay away from narrows due to current. Best mode of travel is snow machine unless you stay on the plowed roads. Check with local bait shops for latest info.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.