updated report

• uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Saturday the 26th was the first day consistent reports were coming in of boats finding a good shallow post-spawn walleye bite. 20-50 fish in the slot per boat was common and that’s just the start. It will get a lot better.
    The bite for pike has been getting better too in deeper water close to shallow bays.
    Crappies reports have been sporadic much like the weather the last week.
    Most have found bass fishing still slow but that will change in the next week or 2.
    The weather forecast looks favorable the next 10 days with some consistent 68-74 degree temps.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Most of the walleyes in the 17-28″ slot are coming from 3-10 fow while eaters are coming from 20-50 fow. Either leeches on a slip sinker or vertical jigging minnows are effective presentations.
    A few guys are getting some good crappie action in Black Bay but be prepared to spend time searching.
    Bass have been quite sporadic the past week but look for that to change in the next week.
    Pike were covered in the reply to Brian.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Not much has changed since the last post except a few walleyes are already on the reefs. I hear quite a few reports that it’s slow and people are marking fish but not catching. A lot of these guys are fishing bankers hours. I have been out 1 time this year when we didn’t have an opportunity to keep our limit in 3 hours.
    The lake has come up about a foot in the last month and is in the rule curve for the first time since last fall thanks to 7″ of rain in the last 6 weeks. The Littlefork and Bigfork rivers are in much better shape now and the Rainy river has come up over a foot too.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

The lake level is in the middle of the rule curve now and they opened some of the gates which really increased the current on the lake and will improve the fishing on the west end as well improve fishing on the river.

I hooked a monster (likely a pike or musky) tonight and made a fundamental mistake by thumbing the spool on my line counter reel to try and turn the fish instead of letting the drag do it’s job. 40 seconds after setting the hook the line snapped 10 seconds after thumbing a little too much.

I haven’t had a fish run like that since hooking and landing a 32 lb. king salmon 13 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.