looking for input

• uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Just wondering how many are actually looking for info about Rainy Lake. I could post periodic updates but there doesn’t seem to be much response or action on this thread.

cady
    blomintion

try to make it up there a couple times a year so all info is good info thanks

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I think there just needs to be someone to get the chatter started. Nebraska forum is a good one to look at. It started out pretty slow but threw constant chatter from a few the members in the area are growing. Remember photos also. Everyone loves photos and they usually get a good response.

So whats going on up there? You guys are still ice fishing. Right?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I like hearing the reports! I dont get a chance to head that way often, but hearing what is going on helps open doors in the future.

Forums are pretty quiet until you get a couple people talking. I have no doubt that will change in time when sharing information!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I would love to hear reports from Rainy!
    Montster walleyes and Super Monster pike roam those waters!

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Right now we still have ice fishing. In fact last weekend they were still driving vehicles out and temp this morning was 10 with forecasted lows in the single digits through Friday. With that said I will be on the ATV until it’s not safe anymore.
    Walleye season is open until Apr. 15 and the reports on walleyes and pike have been good. Crappies are going well on the Canadian side too.
    Last week we dug the boat out and got on the river here in town and caught walleyes, but mostly small. As far as reports on the river, I usually only fish within 2 miles of the dam and don’t fight the crowds down river.
    I’ll try and get on here at least a couple times/month after going back to work on May 10 doing the DNR creel survey on Rainy Lake.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

If you don’t live up here and just have to have a look at Rainy Lake, here are a couple live cams:
    http://www.rainylakeonestop.com/rainylake_cam.html

For some perspective, the top camera is located near the “6” in 6108 on the map and bottom camera is just south of the “C” in camera.

BobO

I would love to see your reports for Rainy! I’ll be getting up there quite a lot this summer, but I don’t know the fishing very well – lots to learn. I’m willing to contribute what I can to this forum.

Do you have a guess when boats will able to launch at the VNP Visitor Center? I know the water is low and there is still ice to melt.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Apr. 15 ago you could still drive a wheeler from the Visitor center landing and pickups from other landings. I was out there yesterday afternoon and there was 30′ of open water from the edge of the cement. Some of the smaller bays are starting to open. Our low water levels also means a lot less current to work on the underside of the ice. My guess is ice out will be the first week of May.

I’ve heard all winter that the lake level has stayed in the rule curve established by a board which represents public and private interests, but it is very low for Apr. 23 IMHO. Some of the bays where pike spawn will do not have enough water to provide spawning habitat this year.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

where is the best public landing to get out to good fishing around rainier? we get up there a couple times a year but have not pulled the boat yet,this summer we are going up at least twice and am just itching to drop the boat in and try to figure out the lake for the first time.I have done some shore fishing on previous trips with some luck but really would rather get in the boat and move around more.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

The first option is the Pat Roche landing which is the first landing going east along the lake, on the same road as the water treatment plant. That will put you about a mile below the Ranier rapids. The rapids by the way is easily navigable by boat with common sense. Some come shooting through there at 60 mph which is dangerous because of the boats fishing above and below and visibility is somewhat impaired by the RR bridge abutments.
    The second option is the public landing right in Ranier adjacent to Woody’s and just a few blocks above the rapids. The parking area is about a block away from the landing just off a city street.
    We don’t have much theft and vandalism problems here but if that’s a concern the landing by Woody’s would be a better choice simply because there’s more traffic and visibility.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Thanks for the info,I have been in woody’s for a cold one a couple times and am more familiar with that one.I noticed another one east of town a ways but have not checked it out much.Looking forward to a few days in june up there and will have to check the area out some when we get the chance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.