Woody’s report 01/05 thru 01/07

• smeds

Group of six fished out of Woody’s houses off of Birch Point this past weekend. First timers to Rainy Lake (we’ve fished LOW for the last six years), but was not overly impressed. We had three guys to a house, with two houses in 32-34′ of water. Each house caught 20-30 fish both days … but it was pretty hard to find a fish for the bucket. Biggest eye was 20″, 3#. Only caught three others close to the lower slot size (17″). Most fish were 9-11″, with a mix of eyes & sauger. We probably caught 5 northerns as well (kinda strange off the bottom in 30+ feet). Woody’s resort was fairly priced, and the service and accomodations were great! We were not a big fan of their ice houses however. Both were canvas covered … we sure were glad it wasn’t your standard below zero temps! Not sure if all of their ice houses are that way or not. The other house in our group didn’t have any lights … which was a problem (no head lamps, etc…). I know that fishing is fishing, and every day can’t be great, but we will be returning to LOW! If the wind is wrong there, you won’t smell the paper mill all day! Oh yeah … thanks to the group of guys on their four-wheelers that raced all around our shack at prime time Saturday night . I think they must have just watched a “Tokyo Drift” type movie … 40 minutes of two ATV’s spinning donuts within 50 yards of our ice house almost earned someone a “clothesline” as they went by! Some people! We maintained our cool and figured fishing is slow for everyone. If we do come back to Rainy Lake, I think we’ll take our portables and check the East side of the lake. Oh well … just an honest report, still had a great time hanging with good friends and cold beer.

shayla

Wow! Sorry it didn’t go better. I have fished Rainy numerous times and can’t remember ever catching walleyes nearly that small out of there! 9-11″ walleyes would explain the pike being in the area, though! Try it in the summer, I think you will come away with a whole different perspective of the lake. Thanks for the report.

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Your idea of bringing portables and going east on Rainy is definitely the way to go. You need to get away from the traffic that accompanies Birch Point. That area can hold big walleyes in the spring but is noted for small walleyes in the winter and summer even though 3 over 30″ have been reported in the last month.

Ice fishing on Rainy has been excellent overall. Look for walleyes in 20-30′ depths adjacent to deep (60+’) water. Some guys have been doing good in 8′ in late afternoon too. I haven’t been to LOW or Red this year or last because it’s been too good here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.