launch?

• JulieL
    Scandia, MN

Is there a launch close to island view? Also which channels do you use on the marine band?

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Island View has their own landing and there is also a landing at the Visitor Center in Voyaguers Nat’l Park which is 10 minutes by car and 5 by boat.
    Not sure about the radio question. I’ve never used one.

2Fishy4U

Yes, just go past Island View a mile or so. It is a bit better launch then the resort has.

JulieL
    Scandia, MN

Thanks for the info, we are starting the countdown, I can’t wait..If anyone is up there come and say hi, we are in cabin 10 and have a white triton with a white etec…

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

Assume you’re staying at Island View – when?

JulieL
    Scandia, MN

we are coming up on the 15yh until the 22nd, Any good spots to start? I’m assuming reefs and deeper humps. Any suggestions???

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

The walleyes are all over the reefs. Just start graphing them until you find a school then fish for 20-30 minutes to see if they’re active and move on if not. There are more reefs out there than you could graph in a year. Morning and evening seem to be most consistent. Jigs with leeches or minnows, slip sinker rigs with leeches or crawlers are taking fish as well as slip bobbers with leeches or minnows.

Bigger pike are roaming in and around schools of walleyes. Tonight for the 4th consecutive time out somebody in the boat I’ve been in has had a pike grab onto a walleye or smallmouth they were bringing to the boat.

JulieL
    Scandia, MN

thanks for the info.. If you are around island view stop in for a cold one. We have a white triton with a white etec and we are in cabin 10

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

The walleyes are all over the reefs. Just start graphing them until you find a school then fish for 20-30 minutes to see if they’re active and move on if not.

This is my biggest problem on Rainy. I start graphing fish like they show you in demo mode to sell you the newest sonar and I just can’t get myself to move.

Like my buddy says, fish on a graph don’t fill a livewell.

We practice strict CPR, but you know what he means.

Thanks for the tips. I’m leaving in the morning.

Sully

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

We fished 7 different reefs yesterday from 7am to 5 pm. It was a day where we needed to keep moving for the most part although we did spend about 2+ hours on the last reef but still had to move over different parts of it to stay on active fish. Because of 18-24 mph winds we anchored all afternoon using lindy rigs, jigs or slip bobbers with shiners, leeches and crawlers. Crawlers were the least productive yesterday and leeches did the best no matter what presentation.

2Fishy4U

We left Island View yesterday; stayed in Cabin #2. Frankly, the highlight of the trip was my son catching Northern over the sunken rock piles in 4-10 feet of water. Included in the group was a 42 inch Northern that was released because he caught a similar fish last year.

The first three days we had a tough time with Walleye. Finally, we started catching some on Leeches using only a small spilit shot to get the bait down.

We also managed some nice smallies including three over 18 inches, but all in all the fishing was tough and not anything like our Canadian trips. Nonetheless, Rainy Lake is a trophy fishery. You probably know, but the chances of catching a 2o inch smallie, a 40 inch northern or a 28 inch Walleye are decent.

Let me know how you do and what you think of the resort. I was not impressed with the guy that runs the place (Ron), albeit the staff was great. We are headed back to Rainy next year, but to a different resort.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.