WALLEYES ARE SNAPPIN!

• Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

Walleyes are going pretty good! We’ve primarily been fishing the Minnesota side of Rainy, and the south shore has been kicking out lots of slot sized walleyes, and plenty keeping size for limits and shore lunch. The bays, and the current areas are loaded with eyes. Jigs and minnows or jigs and plastics, and moving slow has continued to be the most effective for us.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I just love how dark those fish are! I like that color better than the light colored fish that say come out of Mille Lacs…Anyone know why that is?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

I just love how dark those fish are! I like that color better than the light colored fish that say come out of Mille Lacs…Anyone know why that is?

Stained water instead of clear???

Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

I’m not really sure why they are such different colors in different areas or lakes. Could have something to do with stained vs clear waters? I think it has a lot to do with what the bottom structure is. Minnesota side of LOW is stained water, and the Rainy River is also, but the walleyes are much more pale, and they’re both mainly sand or gravel bottom. Seine River walleyes on Rainy Lake are also pale in color. I think they get that color from rock, and mud bottoms, but I don’t really know fr sure.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great photos, Congrats,
    Jack

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.