First Ice Species

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

What’s best up there for first ice? Are you guys targeting ‘eyes mostly, or panfish in the last of the green weeds?

Everything and anything?

Joel

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Catfish and panfish depending on location. I am still fishing open water every week! Anyone who gave up for the open water is missing out.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Walleye’s always best for me first ice, just enough ice to keep the crowds away. once people are driving and pulling shacks around the walleye bite slows up for a bit then its off to chase crappies

Gissert

Depends upon the lake. Last year on a smaller lake we got into gills, crappies, and even a nice walleye on the same spot.

Hard to beat walleyes on Ottertail at first ice, though you may have to do a bit of searching.

One tip that worked last year when targeting fish in weed lines was to set up where a lot of air bubbles were visible. For some reason, that was key. Once we got some snow cover, it got a lot harder to find those spots so more drilling and searching was required.

cdn
    West Central, MN

Welcome Gissert!

Ah, yes, that was definitely the key with the ice bubbles you picked up on! Great bite that day too, even for the surprise mink that tried to steal your fish. Talk about a surprise moment!

Early ice crappies and walleyes can’t be beat. One year, we caught 8 species of fish out of one spot.

Gissert

LOL, That mink was a real eye opener for sure. I am not sure who was more scared – me or the mink. (Probably me)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.