In a month

• jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Just think last year I was ice fishing Upper Red November 21st…I better start gathering up the gear!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Do you still fish out of the boat up there this time of year? You would think there is still some good fishing going on rite now. I would bet you are in for early ice this year.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

I just started to get my stuff ready. I was on wahkon bay on 11/22/08. I can’t wait

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Is it too early to start doing the “no slush” dance? Last year’s early start was great. All that snow in December made for some “no fun” trips for a couple weeks there until the ice caught back up a little.

I’ve got a new Otter 1-man and Solo in the garage ready to roll. All I need to do is go through and re-spool some line and I’m ready to go.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Johnny,

I used to read a lot about URL’s monster crappies…has this fisheree trended over to the walleye ? or are there still good populations of the slab crappies i used to read about ?

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

The crappies are still present, although its no lie the numbers have declined. They have altered into a standard type of crappie fishing where you need to work for them a bit but you are rewarded BIG time as in BIG 16” fish with endless opportunities for fish even bigger. The key to the crappies is March, I can not emphasize that enough. Last couple years when the walleye fishing closes the lake is bare of anglers except a few locals and a few diehards enjoying warm temps and great fishing.

As for the fall bite it is outstanding if you can squeeze in between the windy days. Big pike and big eyes are to be had. Of course many of us are so busy duck/goose hunting, deer hunting, bird hunting etc etc we tend to forget about the lake, myself included.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Hey Johnny,

I used to read a lot about URL’s monster crappies…has this fisheree trended over to the walleye ? or are there still good populations of the slab crappies i used to read about ?

Hey Dave here is a Pic of some dandy specks I found doing a quick search earlier this morning. It was dated June 6th… I think I need to make a mental note about this.

micah-witham
    Richfield

what type of structure are you finding fish on in March? After watching that last ice show with James and Matt I’m curious if crappies respond in similar fashion on late ice?

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

On Upper Red it varies every year. Some years it is all about snow patches or different ice, some years they are chasing shiner fry around and even some years it is all about transition lines, say your gravel to mud lines. Still the basic method for targeting URL crappies in march is to punch LOTS of holes over a huge area. If you have not burned at least two tanks of auger gas you are not hitting them hard enough.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

after the show about crappies on rainy i’m passing red and heading to rainy.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We’ll have to plan to get out with JP late ice up there on URL, bring the camera gear along, and see how they stack up.

JP, how you around camera? You don’t exactly strike me as the shy type.

I’m pretty sure if you could find them…. it would be a close call. I never got to fish Red for crappies during the heyday but the pics and stories speak for themselves.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

Ever seen the Sham-Wow guy?

If you really want fun bring Joel Nelson along, Laurel N Hardy skit all day long. (Joel is the short fat one, Hardy I believe)

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

after the show about crappies on rainy i’m passing red and heading to rainy.

Rainy is a great fishery no doubt about it, in fact I go there for smallies all the time. But with Red you can target crappies, catch a endless supply of Upper Red Lake walleye, and most likely put a forty inch plus pike on film also. Red can appear big and nasty but it truly is a simple triple threat fising day…all from the same spot.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I had you pegged as more of a Billy Mays type. I can just hear you now as you start to pull a big pike up through the hole…

But wait, there’s MORE!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

If you really want fun bring Joel Nelson along, Laurel N Hardy skit all day long. (Joel is the short fat one, Hardy I believe)

When Joel walks next to me we look like the number “1o.”

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

But wait, there’s MORE!

Oh I am so going to use that!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.