The last two weeks

• cookie
    waskish minnesota on upper red lake

Memorial weekend my brother was up from chicago with a couple of buddies. A cold front had blown in and the winds were stong out of the northeast. We stuggled to catch fish . We did manage to catch a few bigger walleyes but it was slow. Yesterday with no wind and 80 degrees trollong a spinner was the ticket as I caught 4 walleyes with in 25 minutes. I also spent a little time looking for the elusive upper red lake crappie with no luck Red lake is so different then the traditional walleye lake where you want a walleye chop. You do not get many but some of the best days I have had on red lake it was dead calm.

joemama
    North St Paul

hows the water level ?

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

really low. bottomed out every time going out at Morts over memorial day trip. heard the same thing was going on at the tamarack access. I would say westwinds and Rogers would be your best shot at accessing the water without bottoming out.

Red lake is easy to figure out. If the wind blows and stirs it up especially accompanied by a cold front you will struggle. if you get calm/low wind days when water temps are 65 degrees or less then fishing is as easy as it gets.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Leaving tomorrow for a week on URL. Hoping for calm, of course. Can always fall back to Winni, if necessary. Staying at Morts’. Taking crawlers and leeches. Weather reports look good. Have cookies number for when we arrive. May do two days a ML on the way.

cookie

The fishing has been outstanding the last 5 days. That may end as the winds are on there way. Westwinds bait/cleaning shack had many many buckets of guts when we cleaned our fish last night. Had a big fish fry yesterday at westwind.. The cabins are again empty for the weekend. Not sure where all the boats come from .Must be other resorts with in driving distance. They sure are not staying here in waskish?

cookie

With the wind howling out of the southwest we decided to give it a shot, The first thing I did not like how the boat was hitting the lake floor inbetween the waves as we went out the mouth of the river. Once we were on the lake there were some pretty goood waves. We started trolling spinners right away and darn if we did not catch a fish within minutes. It surprised me as we kept getting one here and there as we traveled along.After about 2 hours jenny was not feeling so well so we came in.
    We are still seeing quite a few smaller fish in that 13 inch range.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.