Successful Red Lake trip

• mikee
    Aitkin, MN

Went to Red Lake on the 28th for the first time in a long time. Tried to get some advice with a previous post with little success (thanks cookie, for your input). Bottom line is three of us from Aitkin went up yesterday and with advice from my son in Nebraska we ended up having a very successful trip. We came home two short of three limits (could have kept another two that were a fraction over 17) and released many more up to 22 inches. We were the only ones fishing the first break in 6 to 8 feet of water and when we started getting into them, it was steady. We used crappie jigs and fatheads, plain hooks and fatheads and buck shots with fathead heads. They didn’t start hitting until 2:45, but from then on we had a great time. Went out of Roger’s. I hope to get back up there soon, before they quit hitting in the shallows. We could have walked out from shore, we were that close. Lots of houses and vehicles driving out. We had 18 inches of ice. For those that can make it soon, I would recommend it.

timmy

Quote:

(could have kept another two that were a fraction over 17)

Sounds like a good trip – thanks for the report!

FYI – a “fraction” of an inch over 17″ for a walleye starts at about $150 or so…… So if you keep one of those, I would not broadcast it…

T

mikee
    Aitkin, MN

Didn’t want to take the chance, so back they went!!!

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Sucks that there’s no crappies in red anymore. Sad…

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Sucks that there’s no crappies in red anymore. Sad…

Think they died of natural causes or over harvest?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Think they died of natural causes or over harvest?

Come on now. The MN DNR didn’t fold to the political will of the Red Lake band and totally screw the pooch on that one. Oh wait, did I saw that out loud?

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

My brother from Duluth and I were also on URL–but on Friday from 10:am until 4:30 pm. We fished in 9-11 FOW away from the crowds and had steady action all day. We had two limits of 15-17″ walleye and threw back almost two more in slot fish from 17 1/4- 25″. 1/64-1/16 oz jigs in green glow and perch caught the majority with higher hookup percentages using horizontal jigs. Watching them feed on the camera showed them taking 1/2 or less of the fathead in at first, if you waited for the second take you could count on a lip hook. We missed a few fish by being too quick to set the hook. I also watched many walleyes mosy around my baits and swim off. That explained why they weren’t willing to chase the bait. We had steady action with waves of walleyes moving through our location.

I remember the crappies, too, and how the walleyes were nuisance fish that you had to immediately release.

stevedobie
    Central, MN

We threw one back that was 26.5.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.