Trip to LOW 02/16/11

• hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

I was wondering on any info or ideas for perch in next couple of weeks? We are going to stay at Ships Wheel and mostly likely go out on Addrains road. We had really good luck last year on Walleyes and Saugers but only one perch? We usually go out 12 -14 miles past 4 mile bay and fish in 28 to 32 fow, is this too deep? Any suggestions would be great!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’ve always done better for perch on LOW when we fish near the reefs. Two years ago we were up in late February and the rentals on Arnesen’s reef were bringing in garbage bags full of jumbo perch.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Fife is right. The eastern basin rarely produces perch. I have never cought any East of Zippel bay (few at that).

Best bets for perch are the reefs or Long point and West.
    As for the basin out of Adrians road I would not bet on any being there, it just does not seen to hold them. LOW jumbos are in a class of their own. Good luck and have fun. -Mark

j_d
    Warroad, MN

I picked up a 14 and 13.5 two weeks ago off of springsteel. I have never really caught numbers but the size is unreal. Everyone who posted is right, I would say from the arneson reef area to warroad/springsteel is your best bet for perch.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Thanks for ideas on the perch. So since we are stayn at Ships Wheel, do you recommend any spots near there for eyes and saugers?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Are you on sleds and portables? if so I’d be heading towards the boarder line areas and up to the islands.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

We will be fishing out of portables, but no sleds. Last year we drove out of Addrains about 16-18 miles?

wigwam
    Lake of the Woods, MN

Doug and Kim will put you guys on the fish. For the perch you might have to get off the road with a few sleds and some portables and head north or west to the rocks (Rocky Point (west) or Knights, Bridges or Starren Shole (north)).

Best of luck and Happy Fishing!

Wigwam Fisherman

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.