Tackle Box Advice

• Backtroller
    North Dakota

October 2nd will be my first time on Lake of The Woods/Rainey River and am wondering what I should have in my tackle box before getting there. I am assuming a strong jig bite on the river at that time but am curious about size and colors. Also, will there be a crank bite as well? If so, what are typical patterns and sizes?

Thanks for your help and advice!
    John

gary_wellman
    South Metro

My advice is plain and simple…..

If you are working the river by Wheeler’s Point…..

Get along the bank in about 16 to 18 feet of water. Drop anchor, drop a gold jig, and open up a case of your favorite beverage.

The fish in this area are on the roam up the river, following the shinners. If you drop anchor, the bait fish continually will pass on by. The walleyes are following. You will see the bait fish on your locator, then hang on. Your good for about 3 or 4 fish. Then it will be a lull for about 15 minutes or so….Then it starts all over again. I know that it sounds nuts, dropping an anchor in the middle of the river (against the break) but it works. I’ve learned the hard way that drifting or trolling the area doesn’t work well. What your objective is to catch the fish that are running up the river. There isn’t alot of “pit” stops along the way, as there isn’t much current. It is a different type of river fishing as compared to the pools down here. If you can, work the “Gap” as well, with the same technique.

If your heading up to the Clementson area, focus on drifting the small holes around the bends of the river. You will find them up there, as you would on the pools (same technique). We also troll up river with 3-ways and cranks, then drift down with the jigs.

Other colors that produce well are pink and glow jigs.

Most resorts in that area are very friendly as for giving specific info.

Where are you staying at?

Backtroller
    North Dakota

Gary,
    Thanks a TON! We got together to plan the trip today and all of us are like little kids getting ready for a trip to Disney! We will certianly follow your advice and take LOTS of pictures!

We are staying at Wheelers in cabin 6 so stop in and see us. We will be there from the 2nd to the 5th.

John

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If the weather turns nasty up there…..

Go to two places (The folks up there will tell you where they are) 1: Wilson Creek. 2: Church (just ask where the church is….they will tell you).

FAIR WARNING!!!!!!!!! The Ontario DNR is always up there. When you cross the middle of the river, you just entered Canada. That means you crossed the border illegally, with bait, beer, avoiding customs, etc…..it can get ugly @ $3 per minnow. Fines have been noted to exceed $3,000. DO NOT CROSS THE CENTER OF THE RIVER!!! Follow the mainstream crowd and you will be OK.

Don’t hesitate to ask the lodge at what the fish are doing. People up there are generous with giving info on the bite!

Good Luck and let me know how you did when you get back. I’m heading up there the following week.

Gary

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Jigs Jigs and more jigs. This trip is an annual trip for me each year. We are going up the 17th . It sounds like I fish just like Gary. I always find a hole and anchor above that area. We then pitch jigs in and around that hole. Like Gary indicated, you will see a school of bait fish and the fish will be right behind them.

Glow/Pink is one of the colors I start with then I will move into the glow/lime. If those colors don’t work I begin on the chartreuse. Check out the Over-Bite Jigs and the H20 Jigs from B-Fishin on this site. They offer some great new short shank jigs as well as the long shank H20 Jigs that are great jigs for holding plastics or live bait.

Jeff
    Scenic Tackle

Backtroller
    North Dakota

I can hardly believe that I will be up there in 4 DAYS! It seems far from my desk here in Marshall! Anyhow, thank you both for all of your advice and I will provide detailed info as soon as I get back. I have heard that there is not a night time bite on the Lake or the river, is that true?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Nope, no night bite on the river or that end of the lake. For whatever reason, those fish go to sleep at night.

Fishing the river in the fall is unorthodox when it comes to walleye fishing.

You drop anchor in the “middle” of the river, drop a jig with a tiny shinner minnow, and wait for a walleye to come cruising through. This all happens from sunrise to sunset.

When looking for a spot to drop anchor, look for a “pinch”, “bend”, or “break line”. The river doesn’t have alot of structure, so your subtle quirks are good staging spots to be in.

I guess nobody trained these walleyes about normal walleye fishing……

Good luck!

Backtroller
    North Dakota

Alright Gary, it’s cards and, um, ahh, soda…after dark! 3 days, we will try to teach these walleyes some manners!

Thanks again!
    John

gary_wellman
    South Metro

John;
    good luck up there. I love it this time of the year. It is a blast and everyone is there to have a great time. Folks at Wheelers are good people and don’t hesitate to ask what the fish are doing. They will give you all the straight up info you need!

Good luck!
    Gary

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.