LOTW and Winnie trip

• taz
    Frederic wi

Well we just got back from Lake Of The Woods a few days ago and it was one of those trips you will never forget. The trip started off on Saturday mourning and the plan was to hit up winnie on the way up to break up the long drive. We arrived at the lake to find near white out conditions and after 1 hour we found a spot that held some nice perch. We ended up keeping 24 that were 10 to 13.5″. The first thing to break on the trip was my buddy’s recoil on his auger. Then on the way up to LOTW the next day my ball joint went out on my truck in Baudette. Then we decided to take the four wheelers out to the reef to get on the hot bite 20 mile out on the lake well i made it about 18 miles out before my belt on my wheeler started coming a part and tripped out a belt sensor inside the belt housing. When this happens it sends my 4 wheeler into limp mode which takes it out of 4WD and only lets you go top speed at around 8-10MPH. I had no way of fixing it out on the ice After fishing for about 5 hours out on the reefs and getting or limit of fish we headed back to pine island. IT took me 3hour to get back going 9MPH lets just say it was a long trip on a wheeler We had found out that they had my truck fixed so we headed into town to pick it up only to find that someone had stolen a 12 pack of Lakemaid beer and a bottle of Liquor from the bed of my truck. The next day we headed over to the mouth of the river and found fish in 26′ of water that would be the bottom of the ice depth. We caught around 50 and kept 15 fish and broke a trance ducer on a fishing finder Well that night the 3 of us talked it over and since we had a limit of walleye and saugers we decided to get up at 5Am and head back to Winnie to pick up the rest of our perch. every thing was going great until just south of Northome when i hit a deer with my truck so i called the DNR and was given a carcass tag to take the deer. With the delay of the hitting and gutting the deer we didnt get to the lake and start fishing till around 11:30 and by 3 we had our limited of perch this time they were a little bigger 10-14″
    All and all it was a good trip but expensive one at that We ended up with Perch/walleye/sauger and a deer I bet we wont beat this trip for a long long time
    The hot color on LOTW/winnie were a gold slender spoon And a gold and glow red knockout with about a 9″ dropper line to a single red hook with a shiner on it.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

At least the fishing was good!

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

One of the bst reports I have read in a long time!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

if fishing were always that easy, everyone would be doing it! I think

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Glad you made it back safe. Darn “hidden” expenses in our addiction of fishing

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I’m sure there is never a dull moment when going fishing with your crew, sounds like our outings when I was younger.

Nice job finding your fish and describing the trip, it really does bring back memories…

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

You just can’t just make that stuff up . Glad you had good fishing and made it back alive.

taz
    Frederic wi

yeah there is never a dull moment in our fishing/hunting crew. It always makes for a good time

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.