Balsam lake white fish

• taz
    Frederic wi

Hey i was fishing out on Balsam lake tonight and caught a white fish out there. I didnt think that the lake had any in it. I was just wondering if anyone has caught any white fish before out here? I also caught a bunch of nice perch to go with it

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

At first I thought you probably had caught a wild shiner, but after looking at the picture it does look like a whitefish. I didn’t think there were any in that lake since it doesn’t appear to be deep enough to support them. Are you sure you were on Balsam?

taz
    Frederic wi

yes i was fishing Balsam. I was fishing in 31′ and the fish was suspended around 20′ it hit on a lime green forage minnow tipped with spikes

Jake_A

Nice perch! That is REALLY interesting! Never thought that they would be in there. I suspect it got there through a minnow bucket or “redneck” stocking. But that is AWESOME! I know the DNR has been experimenting with putting browns in there to try and create a “two story fishery”…heard this from a local. Maybe this is part of that effort

I love to see stories like this. In addition to whitefish now…there are muskies in there, and they are HUGE!!!!!!! But I have only seen a handful since I started fishing Balsam

iceman35
    upstate New York

Whitefish can be in alot of lakes and we never know. They have an interesting history. At one time a very popular fish stocked every where. I’m actually going on a few whitefish outings this year to check out rumors…

schweg2
    Centuria,WI

Are you talking Balsam Lake in Polk county,WI???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.