broken transducer – can it be glued together?

• phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

i snapped off my transducer where it goes into the bracket today.

has anyone had any good results with using a glue/epoxy/jb weld etc, and putting it back together? or am i best off to spring the 63 bucks for a new one?

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

i nicked mine with the auger three years ago in the back of the truck….cut through the plastic and one wire..fused the wire back together and wrapped it really tight and with a whole bunch of electrical tape….still going strong and i do a lot of hole hopping….so yes depending on the severity it can be fixed

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

has anyone had any good results with using a glue/epoxy/jb weld etc, and putting it back together? or am i best off to spring the 63 bucks for a new one?

Just to clarify… did you cut your transducer cable or did you break the bracket that holds the ducer to the back of the boat?

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Just to clarify… did you cut your transducer cable or did you break the bracket that holds the ducer to the back of the boat?

i did not cut the cable, as it was still working…somewhat, as it flopped around back there.

above where the cable goes into the transducer, the plastic goes up at an angle and that is where it attaches to the boat. It broke off at that “arm”.

now, i may end up having to replace it anyways, cause it was working, but the bottom was reading kind of funny. but that may have been from it flopping around.

on the pic, i circled what broke, now my transducer is different than that, and it broke above where the wire goes in.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve glued a few back together over the years using JB Weld. Worked fine

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

I’ve glued a few back together over the years using JB Weld. Worked fine

I can confirm that 2 part epoxy works great. I tend to hit a LOT of things during the year, and the “fault line” is now a handy break-away and I end up using the epoxy a few times a year.

bluewing
    North Iowa

Broke my transducer in the same place. Have used 2 part epoxy with success.
    I would give it a try.

Good luck

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Personally,I would get a new one and repair the broken one to have as a spare.There is nothing worse than having something break when you need it the most

masters
    oregon il

I used gorilla glue on mine three four years ago and still going strong.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

That same thing happened to our transducer prefishing for the Saugerama. We JB welded it and it worked like a charm. In fact, it’s still on the one application. JB Weld is like metal, stuff works great!

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

I have the same transducer and have broken and repaired several times. I used a 2 part epoxy. It is usually ready to go in 20 min.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

I broke mine in the same place and had no luck gluing it together. I tried super glu and several kinds of 2 part epoxy. I called Lowrance and Cabela’s and neither would/could recomend a product to glue it. I used the good silcone bath sealer to build up succesive layers until it was a large gob. It would wiggle but still stay in place. Not much later it started working only sporadically and Cabela’s got my $70 for a new one.

herb
    6ft under

Just curious, you say broke and repaired several times. Is that broke in several different places or the same spot each time?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Depending on your setup, you could maybe shoot it through the hull, if gluing doesn’t work. Myself I’d glue it and buy a spare, in case it doesn’t hold.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Personally,I would get a new one and repair the broken one to have as a spare.There is nothing worse than having something break when you need it the most

this is probably the route i’m going to go. Damn river…i don’t think i’ll ever go back again…

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Better than my luck, I’ve cracked 3 windshields driving to red wing to fish…

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

Better than my luck, I’ve cracked 3 windshields driving to red wing to fish…

How in the world did you do that? Jumping Carp?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Driving to redwing, 2 flying rocks and one mailbox , in my defense it taunted me, and or I may have taken my eyes off the road for a second car drifted and yeah it was kind of ugly… Rather expensive too. I just took my gloves off, and set them on the seat next to me, looked up just in time to see the fear in the mailboxes eye’s and the sheet terror as I launched it quite some distance.

dr._flathead

Before spending any amount of money on a new one, you may want to work on your boat control so you dont hit shore at 30mph and break another one off. Jst sayin’

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Before spending any amount of money on a new one, you may want to work on your boat control so you dont hit shore at 30mph and break another one off. Jst sayin’

you seen that?!?

Jaya
    Zimmerman, MN

Quote:

Just curious, you say broke and repaired several times. Is that broke in several different places or the same spot each time?

It broke in the same spot, I’ve fixed it four times or so, mostly from me bumping into it ( I keep my boat at work and have to move it in and out every day) so its not a bad repair for $7 vs $70. LEI transducers are not very good anyways but thats all there is available for that type that I know of. If anyone knows of a better brand I need one. mine doesnt tick the way its supposed to.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I broke mine between the bolt hole in the bracket and the wire. Found NO glue that would work. Ended up using fiberglass repair kit. Mixed a small amount of the liquid in the kit and soaked the fiber glass mesh in it, wrapped it around the break. Let it dry 24 hrs, haven’t had a problem in 3 years.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.