Bird feeder check off……….

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I haven’t seen one yet, but I heard one. The White Throated Sparrows are migrating through. I am excited. Can’t wait to hear them a singing at sunrise when I take out the dogs!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They arrived about a week ago in full force and are all over. When they all start singing with the chickadees and cardinals, it is quite the morning symphony. I have a few weeks to enjoy them before the last migrate through.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I would like to see them come through my area, great picture.
    Orioles are back in town, We have one oriole that scolds us every year until we get the feeder out.
    Blue birds are back also.

We found out what was taking our neighbors Koi out of their pond. Bald Eagles sure are not shy when it comes to an easy meal to be had. Now if only he would go after the neighbors cat.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Pretty good w-end in sw wisc. My sister has been camping on top of the bluff at Wyalusing St.park with 3 feeders. Saturday morning there were rose breasted grossbeaks, baltimore and orchard orioles, 2 indigo buntings, humming birds,jays, and a pair of wood ducks constantly landing in the trees overhead.

Down on the river I had yellow bellied sapsuckers, red headed, red belly and downy woodpeckers. Wood ducks all over the deserted, flooded campground. The drake woodies love sunning on picinic tables. Two geese that owned the place and a small mix of warblers but most are the yellow rump. The migration is just getting good

If you really want to see an air show then watch 2 male sapsuckers chasing down a lone female. Talk about fast! The jet fighter maneuvers displayed took me a little by surprise. Once the three would actually mix it up then a loud buzzing( rattle snake like) could be heard from the ruckus.
    Most of the large diver ducks are through but still a bunch of waterfowl left.

The finches(gold, house and purple) are still prevalent at my home feed with the juncos and cedar wax wings mixed in. The sharpshinned hawk gets spotted about once a week but haven’t seen a kill yet

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

The finches(gold, house and purple) are still prevalent at my home feed with the juncos and cedar wax wings mixed in. The sharpshinned hawk gets spotted about once a week but haven’t seen a kill yet

Sounds like my house, sans Cedar Waxwings. And I saw a hawk the other day, but I believe it was the resident coopers hawk. I usually chase him away though, because I don’t want him taking one of the resident cardinals.

As for the picture, I didn’t take it, I found it online, but it is a great picture.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Woke up to a big commotion in the backyard. The crows were going nutso and I thought where they were perched maybe it was a cat or something. But I know there is only only one thing that will get a reaction like this. But in the fog of waking up I wasn’t looking for the owl.

I spooked him out of the neighbors evergreen in the twilight. I only saw a silhouette, but I’ll bet dollars to donuts it was a owl and not a hawk.

It was kind of neat to see crows coming in from everywhere being drawn from the noise these things were making. Then you’d see some peeling off flying back to where they came once in a while.

What a way to wake up. Charging outside in bare feet to see what the commotion was.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

What a show I had today at the feeders. In the morning we had a flock of those white throated sparrows come in after the rain for an hour then all quite. Around noon I went out side to replaced the oranges and apples and with in 20 minutes 5 orioles came in to have lunch fighting over the oranges, man are they a brilliant orange. Later I was working on the garden and the orioles kept coming and going then a ma and pa Rose breasted Gross Beak came into the feeder for a while. Now putting the Orioles next to the Gross Beak was quit a sight in contrast in colors. Later on the oranges to male orioles were feeding then what looked like some kind of warbler came in to join them.
    To top the day of a Pileated Woodpecker came in and started pecking away at a knot in the crab apple tree.
    Best day I’ve had at the feeders in a long time.

Cant wait to get up to sand lake for opener, going to be a great year for birds migrating through.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Man, you are lucky! Color me jealous.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Looking like a brown thrasher will be nesting in our yard again. First time was 3 years ago.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We have a thrasher hanging around right now. I love how they mimic all the other birds.

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.