Bird feeder check off……….

• jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Any unusual sightings this year?

So far it’s been about the same, Cardinals, house-purple and gold finches, crows, juncos, black capped chickadees, cedar waxwings, bluejays, downey and hairy woodpeckers with one Pileated that rules the bluff but won’t come in,red bellies and northern flickers. Sparrows of different species.
    One unusual which was a partially white robin that looked like it ate a flat of crawlers
    Another bird sighted that has all of my feeder birds on high alert, a sharp shinned hawk. Haven’t seen a kill yet but you know when he’s in ambush mode when the feeders empty for a half hour or so.

Interested to hear what everyones been seeing, this is a great way to relax between the superbowl threads and rare icefishing outings

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

BTW, my neighbor claims he saw a hairy chested nut scratcher but I can’t find it in my field guide

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We have our normal group of birds, including a large flock of Goldfinches. The only thing out of the ordinary was a couple big hawks in the cottonwood behind the house. The local thug crows were not happy. And I also didn’t like the way they were eyeballing our Pomeranian.

If I can find a pict of our 4 sock thistle feeder full of goldfinches, I’ll post it.

Oh, and the dang squirrels have figured out how to unscrew the perches on the feeder. They actually twist off the nut. I don’t mind feeding them, but you forget to fill the feeder one time and they bite the hand that feeds them.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Lotsa Juncos, finches and sparrows with more Yelow Finches than I have seen in quite a few years!

I have a few dozen robins that hung around. I have no idea what they are eating, but they are around. I too have a “Sparrow Hawk” and he or she has been quite active. The birds spend a lot of time between the vertical slats on my deck where they are safer. Also in the pine trees. I have seen a few kills and they are amazing! The hawk comes in HOT over the house and will pick one off in mid-air or off a tree limb. I saw a Red Tail chasing pigeons in St. Paul yesterday. That was a first. I’ve seen Falcons do it, but not Red Tails.

Feed those song birds! Those little fellas have it rough this year!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Pretty much the same here….
    One thing I noticed though..
    Last year we had a 30+ Robins all winter long feeding on the crabapple trees at work….
    This year there is only a lonely pair…..
    I’ve named them George and Gracie

I talk to them every day

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

BTW, my neighbor claims he saw a hairy chested nut scratcher but I can’t find it in my field guide

Blue Jays Squirrels Crows and Chickadees here

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I have a blond haired big breasted bed thrasher visiting every now and then

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Two sightings this year that have frequented the feeder.

Deer at least one that visits most nights and scares the crap out of me.

2 possums

Nothing unusual for birds though.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Quote:

How much?

gary d
    cordova,il

We have about the same as all said, but I have seen robins all winter long. I see them up by the dam in Fulton, Ill on the down side of the road going to the dam there is springs that do not freeze up. There is always alot of leaves in the waters edge and you can watch the robins turning the leaves over looking for insects. I would think there is alot of protein for them.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Quote:

Quote:

Pics Please

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Quote:

Long name Bret, couldn’t you just call her rosie like everyone else

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Thanks Jeff and Bret I needed that laugh

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

You wouldn’t be making fun of my bird now would you Jeff

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Lotsa Juncos, finches and sparrows with more Yelow Finches than I have seen in quite a few years!

I have a few dozen robins that hung around. I have no idea what they are eating, but they are around. I too have a “Sparrow Hawk” and he or she has been quite active. The birds spend a lot of time between the vertical slats on my deck where they are safer. Also in the pine trees. I have seen a few kills and they are amazing! The hawk comes in HOT over the house and will pick one off in mid-air or off a tree limb. I saw a Red Tail chasing pigeons in St. Paul yesterday. That was a first. I’ve seen Falcons do it, but not Red Tails.

Feed those song birds! Those little fellas have it rough this year!

Chris….You wanna see something cool,go to the Legion some morning and watch the Falcon take out one of the Pigeons. The Falcons legs arent long enough to pluck the pigeon out of the water, So the big bald Eagle sitting in the trees down there swing in and pluck it out with ease……Then the chase is on and that Falcon goes after the bald eagle. Quite amusing!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BAM! Wait, that not a joke!

I haven’t seen many Juncos yet this year. I think the snow has kept them away, since they are ground feeders. I am sure they will show up this spring.

You guys know about these 3 sites?
    Cornell Lab of Ornithology
    eBird
    eNature

I am not 100% sure, but the Dark-Eyed (Slate/Gray) Junco has one of my favorite songs of spring. It sounds like an old guy in the distance whistling a mellon collie song. I can’t find any audio unfortunately, that is why I am not 100% sure.

jerry b
    western WI

Mostly house finches, but lotsa junkos, cardinals, a smattering of blue jays. I use mostly platform type feeders and the deer have figured out how to bump them so they spill the goodies. What the birds don’t get during the the day, the 4 freeloader bucks clean up for them. I have a “special system” for keeping the squirrels away so I very seldom see’m. jerr

oh ya, forgot about the mourning doves and cottentails. Corn/sunflower fed bunnys are exceptionally tasty this year

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I know most don’t like squirrels, especially the dent in the seed they make, but we like having them around. We got reds, grays and flying ones too. It’s pretty funny watching the pecking order. The red can chase off most squirrels except “Halftail”, my favorite gray. I think he is so tough he challenged a car once and lost half his tail.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

Bret, I’ve had one of those around here for the last 24 years. Just wish she wasn’t so expensive to feed.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BAM! Wait, that not a joke!

I haven’t seen many Juncos yet this year. I think the snow has kept them away, since they are ground feeders. I am sure they will show up this spring.

You guys know about these 3 sites?
    Cornell Lab of Ornithology
    eBird
    eNature

I am not 100% sure, but the Dark-Eyed (Slate/Gray) Junco has one of my favorite songs of spring. It sounds like an old guy in the distance whistling a mellon collie song. I can’t find any audio unfortunately, that is why I am not 100% sure.

This is a cool sight Pug. junco sound

wkw

Brett, That must be a cousin to the red-headed double breasted mattress thrasher!
    WKW

Bassn Dan

One tufted titmouse has been an off and on visitor (and yes, that IS their real name – see below.) We had a redbreasted nuthatch earlier in winter, but the same as usual otherwise. There are fewer bluejays than usual, and it’s been YEARS since we’ve had any evening grossbeaks.

Dan

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wish we would start getting some other birds. One of the coolest things I saw 2 summers ago was a Indigo Bunting who hung around the feeder for a few days.

Hey, I finally found a site that had the bird I couldn’t identify the last few winters. It is a White-winged Crossbill that comes in flocks eating the pine cones. I knew it wasn’t a red grossbeak or a red poll.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Quote:

There are fewer bluejays than usual, and it’s been YEARS since we’ve had any evening grossbeaks.

Dan, that’s ’cause they’re all at our house…as many as 23 Grosbeaks at a time, a dozen Blue Jays or so. Competing heavily with 4 types of squirrel, two turkeys, 3 or so bunnies, a pair of does and the odd Pine Grosbeak mixed in with all the other winter rif-raf. Oh, and a single Grey Jay for variety. Almost forgot the the 3 grouse that moved in on our feeders when the crabapple tree ran dry. Eating us out of house and home…
    -Rev

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Dan, that’s ’cause they’re all at our house…as many as 23 Grosbeaks at a time, a dozen Blue Jays or so. Competing heavily with 4 types of squirrel, two turkeys, 3 or so bunnies, a pair of does and the odd Pine Grosbeak mixed in with all the other winter rif-raf. Oh, and a single Grey Jay for variety. Almost forgot the the 3 grouse that moved in on our feeders when the crabapple tree ran dry. Eating us out of house and home…
    -Rev

You got fox squirrels too?

One of my favorite birds I only saw one spring migrating through. The red breasted grossbeak.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Quote:

There are fewer bluejays than usual, and it’s been YEARS since we’ve had any evening grossbeaks.

-Rev

Impressive. Very few Grossbeaks this far south. Cool birds

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

I have had a feeder filled for weeks with out even a sparrow to be SEEN!! Those of you who live in wooded areas are lucky!!!

stuart
    Mn.

Chickadees,blue jays,idigo buntings,grossbeaks,goldfinch, sparrows,cardinals.
    Had a snowy owl for a mouse snack,to quick to get the camera.It ticked off the resident Red tail so she is trying to eat the mice and song birds up.Trying to get a picture of her nabbing somthing but just to fast for me.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

I have had a feeder filled for weeks with out even a sparrow to be SEEN!! Those of you who live in wooded areas are lucky!!!

Ben, what do you have out for seed? Also, is your feeder by chance standing alone without any trees or shrubs nearby? This is important, birds don’t like feeding without some cover. Toss up a deadfall or even an artificial tree, they’ll come in Black oil sunflower seeds and a suet feeder should do the trick

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Ben, what do you have out for seed? Also, is your feeder by chance standing alone without any trees or shrubs nearby? This is important, birds don’t like feeding without some cover. Toss up a deadfall or even an artificial tree, they’ll come in Black oil sunflower seeds and a suet feeder should do the trick

Don’t forget a thistle sock outside the window for the finches. I got a picture this morning of about 1/4 of our record number I have seen on it at one time. We got one of these…

Pretty nice, as I don’t have to fill it as much. I wish they made a metal version though. I can’t fill it past the bottom of the clear done, because there is no seal and it has warped a little.

Also the dang gummet sparrows like chewing holes in the sock at the seams and then the seed just trickle out. I have 2 different “brands” of socks and one is way more durable.

Thanks for starting the thread. Nice to talk birding with fellow IDOers. We’ll have to keep this up to date with the spring migrations.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.