Metal shop in north metro to bend lexan?

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Anyone know of any metal shops in the north metro that I could have bend two pieces of lexan in a hydrolic press?

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

If you’re looking for a pro-job, most of the metal shops aren’t going to have a lexan bender. Lexan break presses have a heating element along the bend apex.

I know people have done it using other heat sources.
    If you’re doing a home-made job and you’re not too concerned with looks, you can try it yourself using a torch and a couple pieces of 2×4 clamping the piece and another 2×4 as your die.

There are specialty shops that will have the tool, but finding them will be the hardest part and the $$$

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Thought I read you can bend lexan with just a normal hydrolic press.

the better half
    Champlin, MN

Call Herrick Enterprises (Wave Wackers) – 612-825-2323

posted on behalf of Fish Any Time (Francis)

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Call Herrick Enterprises (Wave Wackers) – 612-825-2323

posted on behalf of Fish Any Time (Francis)

Might kind defeat the purpose……since I am looking to make my own cheaper version.

deertracker

If I remeber right, when we made some we clamped it in the vise with a piece of metal flat stock on each side right where you want the joint. We then heated the flat stock evenly with a torch. Then slowly heated the lexan.
    DT

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

The 1/4″ Lexan for splash guards is bent cold. No heat is needed. Speed is the key, fast.

Try your local HighSchool metal shop. Even a heavy manual break will work.

Otherwise maybe try Crystal welding on 81 on Dayton. -Mark

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Just for the hell of it, since we had a scrap piece of 1/8″ x 4″ x 4″ piece lexan laying around, we put it in a 6″ vise, held it with a rag (just in case), and bent it about 45 degrees over by hand.
    We didn’t do it fast and we did not add heat. It bent quite nice and fairly easy.
    My co-worker and I did this just now, before typing our results.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Just for the hell of it, since we had a scrap piece of 1/8″ x 4″ x 4″ piece lexan laying around, we put it in a 6″ vise, held it with a rag (just in case), and bent it about 45 degrees over by hand.
    We didn’t do it fast and we did not add heat. It bent quite nice and fairly easy.
    My co-worker and I did this just now, before typing our results.

I learned something today……Wheeeh I am stressed time for a Learn more here by accident then other places by desighn.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.