Mn Human Resources Question

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

An employer I know is moving into a new office very soon. One of the new rules is no more hot lunches allowed in the office except on rare, CEO approved occasions. The exception is to allow soups or tea or coffee to be heated in the microwave. Basically, nothing that smells “bad” according to the CEO’s nose. Sandwiches, salads, fruits are all exceptable items. There is NO break room/cafeteria in this suite. Only a small kitchenette with a microwave.

I’ve never worked at a company that didn’t allow hot lunches. So I’m not sure what to make of this. Part of me says, OK, then nobody should be allowed any lunches. I am a left over kind of kid, I almost religously bring left overs on a daily basis. That childish part of me says no coffee, as I hate the smell of coffee.

The other part of me says, don’t complain. I got a great paying job with a boss who may be quirky, but he single handedly saved this company from going bankrupt. He’s probably gonna lead the company to many great things in the future. He isn’t up your arse all day long about my department and has been rather generous in the past when I’ve exceeded his expectations.

So, here I sit whining. I know what my gut says to do, but wanted to see what the IDO faithful think.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If your boss says everyone must wear a green tie to work for him…it’s your choice to work for him…or not.

You’ve been whining a lot since the Packers won Kooty.

Time heals all.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Sounds to me like you’re going to be a buck-twenty come speedo season

We’ll still have our fill of pork chops so don’t go buying any new belts

This is one of those things where you have to suck it up and take it. On the other hand, you have a choice. I hear theres employment in Burnsville

big_g
    Isle, MN

Soup you say huh ??? As far as with-in his rights, I do believe they can yank the whole micro-wave out and not allow you to have any either… Who’s the azzhole cooking broccoli everyday ???

big G

BTW.. we have a guy at work that we pretty much “talked” him into eliminating onions from his lunch menu

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

BTW.. we have a guy at work that we pretty much “talked” him into eliminating onions from his lunch menu

I noticed you’ve been a little “green” as of late G.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Well, it’s not like I couldn’t use a salad or two.

big_g
    Isle, MN

What ???

big G

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Do they have a cafeteria or allow you enough time to go out for a hot lunch? i feel your pain when you can’t bring in your own food and save some $ plus enjoy home cooked food but it sounds like your in a catch 22 it doesn’t sound right but your working guess i don’t really have a good answer other than have a hardy breakfest and snack then enjoy that meatloaf or that venny sandwhich and soup

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

that would NEVER happen in a union shop/office. you might want to give that painters union rep a call and see what the procedures are for bringing the union in.LOL

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Maybe he’s trying to tell you your food stinks. At our company’s old office, I sat next to the microwave area and it could get pretty bad. I have co-workers of many ethnicities and some of the stuff they eat makes me want to puke. I usually bring my lunch down to the cafeteria but every now and then I cook up some brocolli or make a tuna sandwich for a little payback. Maybe you could eat salads, sandwiches, wraps, veggies, fruits, or a little yogurt. Don’t forget the boiled eggs because there is no microwave needed to get them smelling ripe.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Holy schnikes. Put on your big boy pants and deal. You have a good paying job. You want a hot lunch, go out. Viking fans..
    That’s just the packer fan in me speaking
    Now where’s my turpentine

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Our company, based in Milwaukee, bans people from eating at their desks as the smells of different ethnic foods can really annoy people. So only eating in the caf is allowed.

I see this trend getting bigger and bigger. Some times food can really stink up a workplace.

Eric

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Get a Doctor’s note that says you have a sensitive tummy that requires you eat heated leftovers. Then when you get fired, you can sue the company he single handedly saved from going bankrupt.

Or yeah, join a union. Without unions we wouldn’t have microwaves in the workplace, because we wouldn’t need them because there would be no breaks period as we worked our 12 hour day next to 3 year olds.

blackbay

I wish they had this rule at my office. Today it smelled like someone was cooking a shoe.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Well, it’s not like I couldn’t use a salad or two.

Salad

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quit your whining, look at the alternative, you could be at home everyday eating all the hot lunches you want…..

I to am a left over kid, but most times i just eat them cold at my desk…..

Its not like we (myself included) couldn’t afford to eat a salad or two every week.

Follow your gut and shut it

Have a great day

Jami

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I would comply with the rules but keep them in mind and start looking for a new job that pays well and doesn’t have a nut case running it. If you are not comfortable it sucks going to work. Never make a rule you know nobody will follow that you are sure to have to enforce.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.