walk-thru windshield Question

• BShimp
    Hudson, WI

How does everyone solve this problem? – keep the center portion of the walk thru windshield open when fishing on a windy day. Mine will slam shut if the wind catches it.

igotone

go 2 menards or tool depot and get a clamp that has the vinyl or rubber on the clamp ends so it will not hurt the windshield

got mine at menards it is a tool shop brand and works great. can b operated with one hand

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

I use my mooring rope which is right next to the windshield any way. I wrap it around one of the toggles that secure the window when shut, then tie the rope back on to the cleat.

I’d had many close calls before I figured it out. Those corners are sharper than you think.

My buddy does the same with a bungie.

Good luck!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Those corners are sharper than you think.

30 mile per hour wind and it doesn’t have to be a corner that hit a person in the face to do damage. I’m living proof!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS I would think one of these boat design engineers should get whacked in the face once. Then there will be a lock to keep it in the open position.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Wondering if you used a 3″ or so PVC section cut about a inch long and the cut lenghtwises to make a clamp out of it?
    Kinda like a C, cheap and when you lose it, just cut another one.

Al

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Quote:

Those corners are sharper than you think.

30 mile per hour wind and it doesn’t have to be a corner that hit a person in the face to do damage. I’m living proof!

Looks like it happend over and over and over again Love ya BK,but you are sooooooooo easy

I use a clamp.

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

I use a clamp too! Quick, easy, inexpensive and it works!

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Clamp for me also. Also keeps the window open when driving with no cover to prevent wind drag.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

go 2 menards or tool depot aand get a clamp that has the vinyl or rubber on the clamp ends so it will not hurt the windshield

got mine at menards it is a tool shop brand and works great. can b operated with one hand

X2

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I use a plastic clamp
    I lost two fishing rods this year due to not using those clamps

BShimp
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for everyone’s input. Does the clamp put too much clamping pressure on the window? On my boat there’s a short post on the bottom of the console glass that holds the folding window off the glass about an inch and my concern is that the clamp may bend the frame of the folding glass if it holds it right up against the glass.

igotone

Quote:

Thanks for everyone’s input. Does the clamp put too much clamping pressure on the window? On my boat there’s a short post on the bottom of the console glass that holds the folding window off the glass about an inch and my concern is that the clamp may bend the frame of the folding glass if it holds it right up against the glass.

The clamp is totally adjustable little or no pressure is needed just to keep window from closing

Like I said if U got a menards close by check out the tool shop one, best one I found.

Will not rust, it is all plastic

I have the same type of set-up that U do. The thing works great. The wife can even run it with one hand

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

My windshield had exsisting snaps for my Bimini cover so I went to the canvas shop and had them take a 6 inch piece of strap, put 2 snaps on it. One end on the windshield and the other on the other side. No issues at all. It cost me more in gas to drive 5 blocks out of my way then they charged me for the strap. Took the guy less then a minute and I was on my way. I have seen the clap work as well and that is a great idea!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.