Poor Running T8

• gonefishin

I have a 2002 T8 that has not run smoothly since I purchased used in 2005. It has remote control and is tied into main motor steering. First it is very hard to start. Once started, there is very little control over RPM. As throttle position is increased, the RPMs do not increase until about at full throttle and then revs quickly to full RPM. When backing off the throttle the RPMs do not decrease until about to shift into neutral position. Looking at the linkage at the T8, it appears to be okay as linkage moves with the slightest movement of throttle. This T8 has been to local Yamaha dealer but the problem has not been solved. So looking for help on what to do next.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

My T8 is a 2003 and runs like a Bulova. I’d have said Rolex but they are far out of my league My T8 was hard starting, on the initial start, for several years until the hose connector finally fell apart when I took the gas hose off the motor. I replaced that part, as well as the hose end connector, and the little beast starts like magic, best ever. I have a bracket on mine that allows remote control with cables or use of the tiller. It works perfectly in either setup so I’d recommend you try another Yamaha mechanic. Where are you located? I’ve had very good luck with Al’s Specialty in Rochester.

gonefishin

Toothy, l am considering selling it, but wanted to try one more time and did not want to sell to someone else as is. Currently either use bow mount electric or main with drift sock.

gonefishin

Al’s was the last to work on it. Before taking it back again I was hoping for some suggestions from others who may have the same problem. The counter person commented that my situation happened a lot and the solution was to remove jet and slightly enlarge seat. When I picked up the boat and asked if this what was done, the mech commented
    , that is why he is at the front desk. Just looking for some help before taking back to Al’s.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I would double check all the linkages again. Check the plugs and see what they look like. If they are carboned up replace them and run some ring free thru gas. The carb could be dirty as well. It could be the pilot jet being dirty causing the hard starts and bad running at low rpms. The main jet could be plugged which would make it run bad all the way out until the carb is wide open throttle. It is really hard to guess, but you might want to try another dealer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.