Dog Breeders??

• kizew
    Dallas, WI

Hi Everyone,
    On September 17th, 2009 we had to have our 12.5 year old black lab put down. It was our second lab in 28 years of marriage so we have not been without a dog for this long ever!
    That being said, it took the family this long to get over the hurt. My wife is thinking she would like a golden retriever, and I am a lab guy. Does anyone have any breeders that we could get in contact with to start this process?
    Thanks in advance!!
    Gregg

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Gregg,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Can’t help you out with a Golden breeder. But here is a great one that is not too far from you. rainmakerlabs.com

I get to babysit two labs from separate litters often. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

FDR

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I couldn’t decide if I wanted a golden or a lab. I grew up with goldens but wanted to be sure I got a good hunter. I got a golden with Top Brass lines and think I have the best of both worlds. You can get a pup directly from Top Brass kennels (google it) or you can find cheaper pups from breeders closer to home with Top Brass in the pedigree.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

PM sent

dea
    Hixton, WI

We have a golden retriever and she is the best dog we have ever had. She will fetch forever and is very good at obedience commands. Very, very easy to train and house break. We got her at 7 weeks and she is now over 8 years old. You will love the breed. They are real people dogs. She was excellent with our kids. Good luck on your search.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If you go golden just do the research to make certain you get into a proven hunting line. That breed has been bred to death for things other than hunting. Mine has a great nose so I got lucky but I did the research. My first golden was a hunting dud and health hazard. Took me two years after her death to get another dog so I know how you feel. Good luck.

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

If you go with a lab, check out Saukriverlabs.com Dave raises some wonderful dogs that will hunt all day are a joy to have in the home.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Thanks everyone for the endless ideas and leads!! You folks are great friends! We already started sending emails and making calls. I will post pictures when we make the decision.
    Thanks again!
    Gregg and Joni

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

We recently bought a lab pup from Mary Howley at Candlewood Kennels in Wisconsin and couldn’t be happier. She’s got as good a reputation as anyone in the business. Make sure to research the bloodlines for hips, eyes and EIC clear certs on the parents to minimize future problems.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Does the Candlewood line have the Tanker line in it? It was a long time ago but I remember that Super Tanker etc. was winning a lot of field trials but the line also had bad hips. People were paying big $$ for the dogs because of their reputation. I also remember that Mary Howley had very good dogs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.