River Fishing Books

• Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

I live in the SE metro any really good fishing nearby is probably in the river (pools 3 and 4 depending on how far I want to drive on a given day). My river fishing knowledge is next to none. I’ve fished pool 4 a few times with the old man, but definitely have not not had the success that I know is possible.

Does anyone know of some good river walleye fishing books? I’m looking for books that cover technical details such as the river ecosystem and fluid motion as it pertains to river current and obstructions. This way I can understand how the different environmental factors affect a river and how obstructions under water are actually affecting current. Also, looking for a good overall river walleye book that contains the basic tips surrounding water temps, water level, flow rate, etc..

Of course, I know that all the reading in the world can’t replace getting out there and giving it a shot. I’m looking to arm myself with the most info possible so that I don’t start out blind.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Drew

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Can’t help with titles for any books but here’s a link to a couple river focused DVDs that many have found to be quite helpful in getting up to speed on river techniques.

http://www.bfishntackle.com/fish_dvd.html

Dean also sells them down at Everts Resort. If you’re in that area… drop on in and see if they might fit the bill.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Can’t help with titles for any books but here’s a link to a couple river focused DVDs that many have found to be quite helpful in getting up to speed on river techniques.

http://www.bfishntackle.com/fish_dvd.html

Dean also sells them down at Everts Resort. If you’re in that area… drop on in and see if they might fit the bill.

x2…Money well spent. Seeing it happen is a lot better than reading about it.

Another thought..there’s a trip-swap forum here on IDO that a lot of guys use. When the river comes back down, post in there looking for an open seat. I’ll bet someone takes you up on it and you’d get to see some river fishing first hand.

Rootski

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

There not books but James has a couple of videos out on pitching Wingdams and draggin jigs in the river. Maybe he has a book in the works.

Dan Gapen a few years back wrote a number of books on fishing and life in northern mn and canada. Some of these included a lot of information on river fishing. I read a few of these books. They where a mix of fishing information and stories that made them pretty entertaining to read. Some of the river fishing info may seem pretty old school now a days but I would bet it would still be pretty good to read.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Take your book money and hire one of the guides around where you fish. One afternoon with a good guide will pay big time. make sure you tell them you want to learn some basics how to read the water and use the tools of the trade and you’ll be doing great in no time.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

We do handle all 3 of the dvds that James produced,and while I do recomend them,what could be better than to actually fish with the guys that wrote the book?

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I’ll 2nd the Dan Gapen books. He has one on creeks and streams, river fishing and big river fishing (3 books). Also books on walleye, crappie, catfish,ect., plus the up north books.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

I also say get the Gapen books. They will have the info you’re looking for. Old-school info and techniques from the original river rat. I love his hand drawn maps on fish locations relating to current breaks/structure. Awesome stuff!

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks for the ideas.

All the suggestions (books, DVDs, looking for an open seat in someones boat and hiring a guide) were excellent. In the short term, I will definitely be looking into the books and DVDs.

My dad and I booked James several years ago for a walleye outing. We tried to pick his brains on river fishing, but weren’t very successful. It wasn’t any fault of James. At the time we had done almost no river fishing and we struggled to come up with relevant questions that would actually help our production. If I educate myself and still can’t become more productive after a year or two of trying, I would consider hiring a guide again. At least then I will be experienced enough to ask the right questions.

Drew

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

When I wanted to learn more about fishing the river, I read everything I could get my hands on written by Dan Gappen. When it comes to fishing flowing water, he is the master.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

The In Fisherman Critical Concepts 5 book Walleye series has tons of info pertaining to river fishing, types of rivers, techniques, etc. Highly recommended for improving your walleye fishing on rivers, reservoirs, and lakes. It will answer all your questions above as they teach you how to be a better all around fisherman and not just one technique that happens to work at a specific time on a certain body of water.

rmartin
    United States

I found 2 of the Gapen river fishing books at my local public library. It has been years though since I checked these out.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Want to REALLY learn to fish the river-no joking around?

Hire these guys for pool 4

Dustin Stewart
    James Holst
    Marty Hahn
    Randy Stevens
    Greg Vandamark (Vandy)

Yes, you will spend some money, but you will learn to rig, pitch, pull cranks, etc, etc, etc, etc.
    People who know me also know I place value on education and NOT reinventing the wheel. I spent alot of money on college and postdoctorate work to get where I am at-personally I love fishing so much, I view it the same, nothing more than another “continuing education” class payment for me.
    Books and DVD’s great and I have them all. But, sitting in the boat with any of these guys after reading and watching all that information is nothing different than me sitting in chemistry class then going and actually doing it in the Lab.
    Fishing with these guys will definitely put you where the rubber meets the road.
    Good luck!

Jeremy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.