Salmon Fillet Recipes

• hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

My father in law just got back from salmon fishing and we are looking for ways to make them? He brought back Coho if this makes a difference. I’m looking for grilling or baking recipes, this is the first time ever making salmon? Thanks for any info.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

If you are not a big fan of the way Salmon taste, try this recipe. It is by far my favorite.

Sweet Soy Sauce Salmon

2 pounds Salmon fillets (skin-on)

6 tablespoons Sugar

2 tablespoons Canola Oil or vegetable oil

8 tablespoons Soy sauce

10 cloves Garlic sliced

2 tablespoon Wine optional

— Marinade —

Instructions

Make marinade: Combine sugar, soy sauce and wine (optional) in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly till sugar dissolved and set aside. Cut fresh salmon into 4 even pieces. Put them in another medium bowl. Pour 2/3 of the marinade over the salmon. Let it stand for 20 minutes. Turn salmon pieces over every 5 minutes if you want. Slice the garlic and set aside. Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet pan over high heat for about 2 minutes. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat. When oil shimmers (but does not smoke), add fillets skin side down and cook, without moving fillets about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-high; Cover the pan with a lid; Continue to cook until skin side is well browned, about 4 minutes. Turn fillets and cook, without moving them. Pour the rest of marinade over fillets evenly. Add sliced garlic in the pan and cover it with the lid. Let the pan cook for 3 minutes. Remove fillets from pan to a plate. Pour the sauce (including cooked garlic) in the pan over fillets. Garnish with chopped scallion or cilantro*. Serve.

* I garnish with crushed pecans sauteed in butter. Simply awesome.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Diesel put one in the cooks group that sounded really good, see if he chimes in and posts here.

grey-beard
    McFarland, Wisconsin

Cooking salmon on a grill but not on aluminum foil, gets rid of the fishy flavor that some people do not care for. This is our fav. I’ll post one more.

Grey Beard

Cajun Hot Butter

3/4# butter
    1 tbl paprika
    3/4 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp cayenne powder
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1 tsp salt

Melt the butter and stir in the spices. Place in a 1 pint jar and shake occasionally to keep the spices suspended as it cools. Use as a baste for grilling fish or chicken.

Place fish on a medium heat, well oiled grill and baste with butter. Let fish cook until it appears to be almost done, then turn and baste on the second side and cook until done. Do not over cook. You can add more butter at the table depending on how hot you like your food.

90% of the salmon we cook is with this never fail recipe. It’s surprising despite all the pepper, it’s not hot to the palate unless you add more Cajun butter at the table. This is a variation on Blackened Red Fish.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

If you are not a big fan of the way Salmon taste, try this recipe. It is by far my favorite.

Sweet Soy Sauce Salmon
    2 pounds Salmon fillets (skin-on)
    6 tablespoons Sugar
    2 tablespoons Canola Oil or vegetable oil
    8 tablespoons Soy sauce
    10 cloves Garlic sliced
    2 tablespoon Wine optional

— Marinade —
    Instructions
    Make marinade: Combine sugar, soy sauce and wine (optional) in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly till sugar dissolved and set aside. Cut fresh salmon into 4 even pieces. Put them in another medium bowl. Pour 2/3 of the marinade over the salmon. Let it stand for 20 minutes. Turn salmon pieces over every 5 minutes if you want. Slice the garlic and set aside. Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet pan over high heat for about 2 minutes. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat. When oil shimmers (but does not smoke), add fillets skin side down and cook, without moving fillets about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-high; Cover the pan with a lid; Continue to cook until skin side is well browned, about 4 minutes. Turn fillets and cook, without moving them. Pour the rest of marinade over fillets evenly. Add sliced garlic in the pan and cover it with the lid. Let the pan cook for 3 minutes. Remove fillets from pan to a plate. Pour the sauce (including cooked garlic) in the pan over fillets. Garnish with chopped scallion or cilantro*. Serve.

* I garnish with crushed pecans sauteed in butter. Simply awesome.

Ruger,

This sounds simply awesome. Have you ever marinated the salmon overnight? Just thinking.

Thanks,

FDR

grey-beard
    McFarland, Wisconsin

This recipe is great with any of the fish from Lake MI. I especially enjoy this with early season coho or late season small chinook.

“FRESH FROM THE GARDEN RAINBOW TROUT”

2 to 3 pounds of skinless trout filets
    6 Tablespoons fresh basil, oregano, and tarragon in equal amounts
    olive oil sufficient to cover fry pan 1/4 inch
    3 Tablespoons butter
    6 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
    salt
    lemon wedges

Chop the fresh herbs and combine 1/3 with the butter and heat in a cup in the microwave for 90 sec. Over a low heat brown the fish in the olive oil. Turn and sprinkle the filets with the remaining herbs. Cover the pan and cook approx. 6 minutes. Place the fish on a warmed serving platter, drizzle on the herbed butter and sprinkle on the parmesan. Serve with lemon wedges.

Good accompaniments would be a rice pilaf and a vegetable.

Chef’s Comments: Two minutes under the broiler puts some nice color on the parmesan. This recipe is great for trout or salmon. Cook the filets skin side down first, when they are turned the flesh with the gray appearance is the fat. This can now be easily scraped off resulting in the leanest fish possible. Follow the same procedure with poached fish.

Source of recipe: self: pharmacists are pretty good at following and creating recipes. Inspired by hungry daughter Heather, who caught the trout.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Ruger’s recipe is almost exactly like mine except in the place of the sugar I use 4 big tablespoons of Tangerine or Apricot marmalade..

I brush the oil on both sides and grill (skin side down first) do 2 mins and then turn the fillets,peel the skin off,and brush (on the heavy side) the marinade on top of that,cook for about 4 mins to a glaze………..

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Ruger,

This sounds simply awesome. Have you ever marinated the salmon overnight? Just thinking.

Thanks,

FDR

I have not. The 20 minutes seems to be more than adequate. I have done it for an hour though with no adverse effects.

I have a recipe for duck/goose that requires marinating in soy sauce. The recipe called for marinating 24 hours, but we found that to be WAY to much. Might as well lick a salt lick. In that situation, 2-3 hours was plenty.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I know I would like every recipe listed here but my favorite way is to taste nothing but the fresh salmon. Place in tinfoil on the grill(or oven). Brush with butter (or olive oil) with salt & pepper. Just had it Sat night and it was Righteous. The longer it sits in the freezer the more flavorings/marinades I include.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I know I would like every recipe listed here but my favorite way is to taste nothing but the fresh salmon. Place in tinfoil on the grill(or oven). Brush with butter (or olive oil) with salt & pepper. Just had it Sat night and it was Righteous. The longer it sits in the freezer the more flavorings/marinades I include.

This is good, but to take it a step further… instead of tin foil, use a piece of cedar wood. Just lay the filet right on the slab… right on the grill, keep it buttered…YUMMY !!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

This is good, but to take it a step further… instead of tin foil, use a piece of cedar wood. Just lay the filet right on the slab… right on the grill, keep it buttered…YUMMY !!!!

Cedar flavored fish? Anything like spruce grouse?

eelpout

this will be the easiest and best salmon you ever had. 2-3 parts mayo,1 part yellow mustard, chopped fresh garlic to taste. mix all and spread on the flesh side of the fish. grill 10-15 mins. per inch of thickness skin side down. simply the best. Pout

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Thanks for all the recipes from everyone! Going to pick one and try this weekend, will let you know how it turns out

luv2rapala

This one is simply the best I have tried:
    Bacon Wrapped Grilled Salmon Filets

Use 2 small salmon filets or cut 1 large filet into halves
    � filets should be skinned. Remove the reddish-gray fat from the skinned side.

� The lateral bones (pin bones) should be removed with a pliers or sliced out with a knife so that the filet is totally boneless

1. You will need to use a fish-grilling basket. Spray the basket with Pam to avoid sticking.

2. Lay down a layer of bacon cross ways on one side of the grilling basket. You will need enough strips to cover the length of the filets.

3. Next rub the filets with olive oil (vegetable oil can be substituted). The filets should be seasoned with a seasoning salt (I prefer Morton?s).

4. Place one filet on top of the bacon strips.

5. Next place a layer of finely sliced onion (1/8?) on the filet, then a layer of finely sliced tomato (1/8?), and then a layer of finely sliced green pepper (1/8?) (cut into rings).

6. Next place some grated Parmesan cheese on top of the veggies. (you can substitute cream cheese with jalopena slices for a spicier treat)

7. Then place the other filet on top.

8. Then pull the bacon strips over so both filets are wrapped. (You may need a second layer of bacon on the bottom and one on top if the filet is more than 4? wide).

9. The grill should be heated indirectly (coals on either side and a drip pan below the grilling basket). Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and then turn the basket over and cook for another 20 minutes or until the bacon is brown and crispy. There is no way that you can overcook the fish, the filets stay very moist with bacon on the outside and the veggies inside.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Actually it is very tasty The wood gives it a almost smoked tint… way better flavor than tin foil…

big G

chomps
    Sioux City IA

big g is right, just make sure you use cedar for cooking not a chemically treated shingle. Soak your wood while the charcoal is getting going an you should get three grilling sessions from a cedar plank.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Big G is right on with this one. If you have not had cedar plank salmon, you are missing something. I gerauntee you’ll like it. It also works well for halibut, swordfish, basically any thick fillets or steak cuts. I have also grilled chicken this way.

There is plenty of info on the web for it. Here are a couple of tips from me. If you don’t have time to soak the planks, wrap the bottom half in foil. Soaked and bare is better because the cedar will burn up to the salmon and crust the edges quite nicely. Have water handy to douse the flames. A little burning is ok, but I don’t let the flames go once I spot them.

If you haven’t tried it,you need to! I think I am doing it tonight, as a matter of fact.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

By the way, anyone know how to purchase the wood from Menards or a lumberyard. I’ve looked in the store for untreated fence panels, as I saw that suggested somewhere. Otherwise I get it from Lunds and Byerlys at $14 for 4.

By the way, you cannot reuse the wood. It may be tempting, but throw it out once used.

stuart
    Mn.

1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup olive oil or veg.oil
    1/3 cup water.
    Mix together and marinate salmon for 2 or so hrs.
    Heat grill to medium and place on cedar planks,skin side down.Grill until salmon flakes about 15 to 20 min.

This is a very basic but great recipe that has got many rave reviews over the years.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Thanks for all the recipes guys! I will have to actually take a trip myself Salmon fishing so I can try them all. I do have one question on the cedar board? How long and do you just soak it in water?

whittsend

1. Liberally apply any seasoning you own. (Steak, cajun, etc)
    2. Grill skin down until done.

Thats really all you need to do. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) method….

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yep, soak it in water It really depends on the heat you have, but typically around 45 minutes seems good for salmon Had it at Camp Ripley last year…. yummy after a day in a tree !!!

big G

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

This thread got me hungry and I had to make it again on Sunday.

I don’t mind a little flame, I’ll even let it burn a little, 30 seconds tops if it is not too close to the salmon, before dousing with water. The one negative about using foil and not soaking is that when you douse the flame, the water collects under the wood on top of the foil until it boils off. I’d choose soaking the wood every time over foil because the water you douse flames with rolls right off. Because the water gets under the wood, you won’t get a good amount of smoke going again until it boils off.

The salmon may look over done but trust me, it is just crusty and very moist on the inside.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.