Snap swivel’s on lead core?

• kevinh1570
    New Richmond, Wi

Just bought HUD’s leadcore trolling booklet and reading it say’s Not to use snap swivels because it deadens the action of the crank-bait. It say’s to use a #1 or #2 snap. Looks like i need to change my rigs up (no wonder i haven’t caught much). Whats everyone else using?

shefland
    Walker

I use snaps, leadcore line, no stretch, fireline leader no stretch, snap vs snap swivel? I find it very hard to believe that would lessen your odds,if anything at all it would be a confidence factor, not rocket science, my opinion

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I use just a snap but also use a swivel to tie my leadcore to my mono. If you tie leadcore directly to mono or fireline, I would use a snap swivel to the lure. I can’t see how it would make that much differance other that being bulkier at the lure. Like I said peel back the dacron and take an inch off the lead then tie a very small swivel to attach your mono or fireline then go snap only to lure. Either way it shouldn’t be that big a deal especially in dirtier water like the Mississippi!

shaley
    Milford IA

I run fastsnaps (??) I think is the brand on my lead, works well for me.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Leadcore to mono or fireline with a double uni knot-it’s easy and fast. Use a berkely cross-lock to connect your lure-not a swivel in any cranking situation. Swivel can cause solid lures to swim untrue, causing your bait not to dive as fast. It makes a huge difference, and good luck out there.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Like always test run your cranks at speed next to the boat before fishing.

brian_j

Quote:

Like always test run your cranks at speed next to the boat before fishing.

+1

And I don’t run a swivel on my leadcore rig. Uni to uni at the leader and a small snap with a rounded end to the lure.

corey-studer

No swivel for me. I use a nail knot and use a cheater tool… Been doing this for about 20 years with no line breaks at the knot. It’s nice as the line goes through the guides smoothly.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

No swivels or snaps for me either. I tie a mono leader to the leadcore via a WILLIS KNOT. It’s fast, easy and very strong. Then I always tie the mono leader directly to the crankbait using an IMPROVED CINCH KNOT to ensure I do not disturb the swimming action of the crankbait.

corey-studer

I’ll have to check it out. It’ll be tough as I have been doing my nail knot for many years, but willing to give it a try! Thanks for another option. We’ll have to get out together some time with CD.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Will the Willis knot work with braided line or just mono? Thanks for any feedback.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have tried about a half dozen times to tie a willis with a power pro leader and gave up. I just use an albright knot and have had no problems. It ties small, and it is a pretty simple knot.

timmy

Quote:

Will the Willis knot work with braided line or just mono? Thanks for any feedback.

I tie the Willis Knot with fireline. I double the fireline and run a dab of super glue up the doubled part. After it dries, the doubled FL is stiff enough to CAREFULLY tie the willis. It took a few tries, but now I can do it pretty reliably.

The willis know is what the charters I have seen on Lake Mich all use. I figure if it is good enough to land kings and rainbows, it is good enough for a bunch of walleyes.

T

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.