New Fly Rod Build

• ealbrecht

So i finally finished building on the fly rod blank i ordered last fall. It is a Batson Rainshadow blank. i wanted something lighter for bluegills and crappies so i went with a 6’6″ 2 weight 2 piece. It is the first two piece rod i have ever built so i was a little nervous doing the ferrule but i think it turned out pretty good. i went with an oversized cork handle that i turned myself from 1/4″ grade A cork rings cuz i have big hands and dont like the tiny reverse half wells grips.The reel seat is from Janns netcraft and the guides are Forecast lightwire snake guides from Janns. The stripper guide is an Alps XPFLG with an aluminum oxide ring. I loaded the 4 weight Cabelas Cahill reel up with 4 weight line and absolutely love how it loads up! Here are a couple pics, cant wait to get this thing out on the soft water:

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

nice work

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Looks great

I agree with Ron, That looks fantastic!

Great work!

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

Very nice job… congrats!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Very nice

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Outstanding job Bobb-o, Man it must be nice to have “Young” eyes………..

mark winkels

Rod looks good!

Why did you build a 2wt rod than use 4wt line? I have a 2wt 6’6″ that I use 3wt line love the fight! Just curious what the benefit was for going up 2wts.

ealbrecht

It was more that i just had the 4 weight line already so i gave it a try and it loads up really well so i am just gonna stick with it.

mark winkels

So you were just being thrifty!! That’s why I have the 3wt line

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.