Insight – Spinning Reels / Baitcasting Reels

• Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Why would you use a left handed spinning reel and a right handed baitcasting reel?

I don’t understand…

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dog

kris_brantner
    My river

i do, and no idea why. just what feels better i guess. i know alot of people that flip have left handed baitcasters on them so they dont have to switch hands. i just flip with my left hand and dont have that problem

mojogunter

I am one of the few right handed people that has the crank on the right side of all my spinning reels. I can fish either way, but I am more comfortable cranking with my right hand.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I use both left and right handed in each spinning and casting reels. For me, its its feel and retreive speeds. I crank faster with my right, which is good for very aggressive fish. But if I’m jigg’n, I use my left more for a slower retreive and more feel. Ironic though I just thought about ice fishing. All my spinning reels for the ice are right handed (crank left)

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Because most RH guys throw a baitcaster with their right arm then grab the fore grip with the left hand and reel with the right hand with the rod butt in their gut.
    They cast a spin rod with the right hand but since the reel hangs below the rod and the rod has a longer butt that goes under their fore arm… they dont need to hold the fore grip with the left…just reel with the left.

The hand positions are different also, with a B/C reel your hand is behind, thumbing the spool…with spinning your hand is on top and ahead.

Thats just the way it is…I tried a LH baitcaster and it was WAY weird feeling.

masters
    oregon il

All my spinning reels are on the left, I have some baitcasters that reel from the right, but I prefer the ones that reel from the left. For some reason some companies don’t make lefties,wish they all did, make lefty line counters easier to find.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I use to reel spinning reels on the left and Baitcasters on the right. Not sure why, It was the way I learned. Not to many baitcasters reels with handle on the left back then. About 10 years ago I read that Right handed people had up to 50% more sensitivity in their right hand so I decided it would be a good idea to keep the rod in my right hand at all times. It only took about 1 weekend of fishing a baitcaster that reeled on the left for me to get use to it.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I’m a left handed spinning, right handed baitcaster guy even though I don’t know why. Maybe the same reason I throw a ball with my left hand and a Frisbee with my right.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have all the handles on the right. I cast and reel with my right. I am starting to feel bad for my left arm/hand.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

There “was a time” when we did not have a choice. Right crank bait, left hand spinning. Becasue there was not a choice, that is how we learned and got comfortable. I have since gone AC/DC with my reels, with no obvious reason.

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Interesting post with variety of answers… I say whatever your most comfortable with.

I never really realized I was in the minority for spinning rods. Everytime I hand a spinning rod to someone in the boat, they say it’s backwards. I primarily cast left handed & crank the reel with my right.

Hats off to Kris because everytime I end up flipping, it’s with my right hand… otherwise the length of line in my hand wraps around the reels handle.

Also..If I try to skip cast under a dock right handed, it’s a train wreck. Any other right handed cast is good. Left is better.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

I’m lucky enough that it doesn’t make any difference to me. My FW on the other hand would starve if something happened to her right hand.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.