Holy Pickeld Pike BatMAN!!!

• pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

I love to tip-up fish. Never been much for “BUCKET THUMPING”.. Dont get me wrong aint nothing wrong with sumo Perch, suspended slab Crappie and BULL GIlls but I love Big fish with alot of teeth. Been fishing alot of different kinds of waters deep, shallow and all have been good.

scottd
    wisconsin

No offense but I hope your teaching the younger one some type of conservation practices.
    With that amount of pike on the ice-Im not sure why the bass were kept.
    Good fishing however.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Nice gators! I just finished making a batch of pickled fish today. Once it sits in the fridge for 48 hours….Good Eats!!

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Quote:

No offense but I hope your teaching the younger one some type of conservation practices.
    With that amount of pike on the ice-Im not sure why the bass were kept.
    Good fishing however.

Let me guess……. Bass Fisherman?

Nice Fish anyway you look at it. nice to see the young guy enjoying a day in the ice!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’d love to get out and catch some pike like that.

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

Let me guess……. Bass Fisherman

Bass fisherman or not it says alot to teach a youngster to let the big ones go, doesn’t matter what species.

Nice day on the ice regardless.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

-Yeah, 3 guys and a kid. Taking 4 pike and 2 bass, bet the lake is fished out now…-
    It looks like the yungin sure enjoyed the day, I remember when my old man used to take me piking. Hope u all had a great day, any pickeling recipe to share. -mark

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Anybody who has fished around this area knows there are an abundant amount of toothy critters. I am glad to see someone willing to keep a few. That amount of fillets would definitely make a nice batch of pickled fish.

Congrats on the great day(s) of tip up fishing guys

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Nice job on some great eats. If you need help getting the ate let me know

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Keep it in perspective, guys. 4 pike and 2 bass for three guys. Seems reasonable to me.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Dude, those pike are nice Great shots

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Nice work cleaning out some “rough” fish

taz
    Frederic wi

Nice pike what did they weight?

bigpike

Those sure look like nice spawners to me- if they were 40″ musky or 26″ walleye or 19″ bass guys would be screaming- thus the no respect card that pike get. Pickling pike are ones you cant filet…In my hummble opinion! Other than that, those are some very nice pike and to kill them is your business.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

There is a pickled fish recipe in the recipe section. I will add mine in there shortly.

pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

Boil Fish for 2-3 min
    After fish is boiled put aside and make brine
    1 tsp Pickling spice
    1 tsp canning salt
    4 cups viniger
    4 cups water
    2 cups sugar
    Stir and bring to boil

Cut onions and mix into fish
    add brine to fish
    2-3 days eat up!!!

The good thing about this is that it doesnt take very long because of the pre-cooking that is done.

The fish that we kept are the ones we kept. We let many others go that were just to big or to small. “yes to include bass”.. The Largmouth Bass is great table fair. This is how I like to eat it.

1 largemouth bass 16-17 inches
    Bring enought water to boil to cover fish
    melt enough butter to taste
    boile fish until white and flakey or falls apart when picked up
    season to taste
    dip in butter

I call it Poor Mans Lobster

pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

Anyone ever try smoked bass or smoked walleye. Smoked white bass is ok not my thing. Smoked crappie, perch and blue gill is out of this world good. But smoked bass and walleye I do enjoy

a1a

They look quite a bit bigger than the average “picklers” to me, but then I am not familiar with that body of water. Perhaps it’s overloaded with pike that size and bigger? Anyway, I’m sure 2 guys and a kid won’t hurt the size structure any if they don’t make a habit of it. To each their own.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Nice fish. Looks like a great day. Tip up fishing is a lot of fun.

If you are going to kill fish like that though, those are pan fish. Picklers are the little guys that are a pain to get the “Y” bones out of. A blind guy with no hands could cut the “Y” bones out of those fish. Enjoy them either way. MMMMMMM……fresh fish.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.