Finding a job in America

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

John Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG) He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA) After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) filled it with GAS (from Saudi Arabia) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA), John decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL ), poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE ) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA ), and then wondered why he can’t find a good paying job.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Sad but true. We are reaping the fruits of what started over 20 years ago of only thinking about what is cheapest not where it is made. We now have limited options of American made goods, and people say they are too expensive. I ask you in what ever profession you are in what do you think you would be paid in China or India or Mexico to do same task with the conditions you have? We need fair trade not free trade! As my dad would say bless his soul, By American because you are one . NO EXCUSES !!!!!! We all got us in this mess and it will take us all to get us out. God Bless America

Roofer
    Minnesota

Not only in retail, but I saw cheap labor all over this state in the construction trades. The average person really doesn’t seem to care as long as it’s cheap.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Do any of your shop and Walmart or Menards?

“Save big money” “Always low prices” does have its cost.

Dog

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Its a world economy, get used to it.

Times are changing and we need to adapt.

When is the last time anyone needed a blacksmith?

I bet the blacksmiths used to complain about the horseless carriage taking away business.

What about the guys that used to deliver ice to homes for your ice box?

We are an innovative country.

I’d rather think that we are in a transition time where new technologies and products will keep the American economy going.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I don’t know how you would ever put the global economy genie back in the bottle. However, the new unemployment stats say MN held steady at 7.4% unemployment and nationwide it is right around 10%. Not good for sure; but I figure that it is amazing that it isn’t twice that considering everything that is going on (This is where the Righties say congress and Obama are gutting capitalism and the lefties say the banks and Wallstreet are killing the little guy.)

dd

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

John Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG) He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA) After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) filled it with GAS (from Saudi Arabia) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (made in MALAYSIA), John decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL ), poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE ) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA ), and then wondered why he can’t find a good paying job.

Good thing this country was built by people that found good opportunity in any situation that was placed in front of them.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Last time I checked, poor people still aren’t hiring….

Dog

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I was doing some research two days ago about the National Debt and we didn’t have a deficit until 1969, since then our debt has grown to $12,308,413,891,923.12 as of 18:52 and 46 seconds. Why is it happening? Because merchandise that we consume and use are not produced within our borders. We need Americans working so they can pay taxes.

Quote:

I bet the blacksmiths used to complain about the horseless carriage taking away business.

Blacksmiths could easily go to work making cars in America. Actually I would bet that there are more blacksmiths today then there were in 1900, think about it you have ferriers and welders that do the same jobs of a blacksmith. What about the jobs created by Henery Ford and the other auto makers. Overseas…

Quote:

What about all of the jobs that were created by the companies that made refridgerators. Overseas…

Quote:

I’d rather think that we are in a transition time where new technologies and products will keep the American economy going.

How long is it going to take? We need jobs today.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Quote:

I was doing some research two days ago about the National Debt and we didn’t have a deficit until 1969, since then our debt has grown to $12,308,413,891,923.12 as of 18:52 and 46 seconds. Why is it happening? Because merchandise that we consume and use are not produced within our borders. We need Americans working so they can pay taxes.

Quote:

Blacksmiths could easily go to work making cars in America. Actually I would bet that there are more blacksmiths today then there were in 1900, think about it you have ferriers and welders that do the same jobs of a blacksmith. What about the jobs created by Henery Ford and the other auto makers. Overseas…

Quote:

What about all of the jobs that were created by the companies that made refridgerators. Overseas…

Quote:

How long is it going to take? We need jobs today.

The national debt is caused by government spending. The taxpayers can’t keep up with 900 billion dollar stimulus spending packages, trillion dollar health care reform, cap and tax, etc.

My Dad is a blacksmith (retired) and the recession of the early 80’s and farmers doing there own welding and repair at home killed his business. He could have expanded into other areas and diversified. Instead he sold the business, got a job, and did the blacksmithing at home on the side (he still is doing that). Times change and you got to be able to change with them.

dd

mojogunter

Not true there was not deficit during Clintons second term, and it didn’t take GW long to go crazy with his spending, and tax cuts to send the country into a recession. Obama is spending more.

Quote:

Quote:

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

GW definetly went crazy with the spending. The tax cuts actually brought in more revenue. I know everybody has been brainwashed that the tax cuts that Kennedy, Reagan and Bush did helped the wealthy and cut the gov’s revenue; but look at the facts and you will see that the resulting booming economies raised tax revenues. Right now you have the economy in a slump and taxes going up. Less profit and less money to pour back into your busines and less jobs created = less tax collection. It is economics 101 but sadly a mystery to a lot of people.

dd

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.