New puppy shopping

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

So I’m feeling a bit mixed at the moment, Had to put down one of our 2 Golden’s Friday, the other one is older and probably doesn’t have a whole lot of time left in him either, the wife is convinced for whatever reason, we need to get another dog, and soon…

Living in a townhouse, we don’t want another big breed of dog, Golden’s are out either way, personally I’ve seen too many with hip problems to even consider one.

Right now we’re leaning strongly towards a Silky Terrier, Long ago I had a Border Collie, and I loved that dog, smart obedient and generally well behaved. I have concerns with the energy level of the border collie being too high and him not getting enough exercise and getting bored and destructive not as much in the short term with 2 kids and a wife at home, but that may not always be the case. I’ve long said our next dog will be a hunting breed, that I could take bird hunting, realistically I’m not so determined that be a requirement.

So I’ve had some experince with both Silky terriers and Border collies, I like a smart fun energetic family dog. So what I’m looking for is a couple things.

* Any personal experiences with either of those breeds you’d like to share.

* Suggestions of other breeds, you may think fit the conditions I mentioned. Under 50# MAX

* Breeders or connections you could pass along. (pm’s please)

* 95% sure we want a male.

Of course price is an issue, the wife seems to think timeline is an issue, I *think* I can convince her it’s not an immediate “need” if the right puppies will be available.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I also kind of like a dog that would go fishing in the boat with me, I can’t see that being much of an issue with most breeds.

The wife asked if I’d be ok Fishing with a silky terrier, I said I wasn’t quite sure them made treble hooks that big

has
    Hudson, WI

Could get a small Lab. Nelli, the smaller dog in the pic is half British and half American Lab, weighs 48#’s. Can’t beat a Lab. Great bird dogs as well.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Nick; how bout a jack russell, great dogs. Just my .02

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yeah, I don’t think we want to go with a lab at this point, we’ve talked about it, they do fit pretty much all our requirements, for whatever reason they’re not high on out list, not tottally ruled out either…

Ugh Jack russel, super hyper energy dog Might be a little too active for us, the couple I’ve know were a complete handful.

I should mention I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Nick-

Look at English Cockers….I have a lab(can’t beat him for fishing, fetch, laying by the fire, hunting, beer drinking, etc.)

I have had pointers, setters, etc….

These little cockers are amazing bird dogs and companions.

20 some lbs.

Dog

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

French Bulldog?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Well we’ve been running around all day, running errands and stopped in at a couple pet shops, we’re on our way to meet up with a little male silky… doesn’t look good for holding off…. I’ll probably be posting pics in the near future….. Honestly I was thinking I’d have some more time to figure this out.

Thanks for the insight guys all good suggestion, we’ve seen a lot of dogs in the past couple days.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

We’ve been looking at Basset Hound pups ourself. Man are they cute. Lydia has had them before. They play fetch nice. Are still small enought to lay around with you if you like and you can wear them out so they aren’t hyper. We found to pure breeds out by hutchinson for 195.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I will have to agree with Has. I had a black lab that was 68 lbs. Great for hunting. If I ever get another dog, I will be looking for a smaller lab. Just can’t find a better fishing buddy than a dog. Like they say, lock your dog and wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and see which one is happier to see you when you let them out.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Don’t rule out Springer Spaniels. Good hunters, companions, and fantastic with kids/families. Any dog is going to be a handful for a year or two,,, good luck in your decision.

Pete

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Please, please do not buy a puppy from a pet shop! Buying from a pet shop supports puppy mills. Support a reputable breeder.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

We went by the “big dog means big food bill and big turds”. We decided on what I’ve wanted for 25 years, a beagle. She is such a sweetie. Ready to play at a moments notice, strong desire to hunt (we haven’t yet) and very sociable with other animals and people. We are now looking at beagle/blue heeler mix pups. I have no experience with the breeds you narrowed down to so I can’t comment on them, sorry.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

We went by the “big dog means big food bill and big turds”.

I can vouch for that! Two 35lb bags of food a month isn’t cheap.

muskyfish

Sorry for your loss. I am on my second lab and I also go with the smaller labs. The dog sees the Boat getting hooked up she gets excited, sees the orange getting put into the truck she gets excited. She sees the lawn chairs going into the truck to go to one of the kids ball games she gets excited. Love labs you just have to put up with a little dog hair.. What ever you decide the dog wins.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Two 35lb bags of food a month isn’t cheap.

Goodness how many dogs do you have?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Ralph has 2 BIG dog IIRC.

Well we bought a Silky terrier tonight, found him listed online from a breeder we found just south of us. The options seem limited currently, overall seems healthy and happy.

Only peed on the floor twice so far We’re just not quite fast enough yet, we were close to saving it.

Hopefully the pic works, and IDO resizes it to a normal size

paddie333

Strongly advise getting a pembroke welsh corgi, excellent family dog and extremely intelligent! Average size 22 lbs, the queen of England has 2 of them. For more info, please feel free to contact me.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Goodness how many dogs do you have?

Just one. 19 month old Great Dane who runs a bit over 140 lbs. (for reference, I’m 6’2″ 240lbs)

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats on the new pup, Nick! That sure happened fast. I guess the wife won

I’m not much for terriers, but I hope you and your family enjoy him/her!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Congrats! Thats one cute little puppy!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Only peed on the floor twice so far

You or your new addition?

Congrats…and nice save!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

You should get 2 of them. That way when they grow up you could make a pair of fuzzy slippers

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Nah sticking to one dog, when the our other dog’s day comes, we’ll be a one dog home, the little one is fitting in well.

Plus I wouldn’t waste them on slippers, they’d make one heck of a musky bait

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.