My River Dream; or The last 2 years of my life

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Some of the guys who know me, know that I took on a little project a couple years ago, and purchased a property on the river in Lake City. My wife and I originally wanted a camper, or something small, but Dean was full, and we did not find what we wanted, and then stumbled on a “Fixer Upper”. Calling it a fixer upper is being very nice, it was a dump. The previous owners had a water pipe blow up, took their stuff and went home. My wife (the Saint), and I are on a fixed income, but by saving at every possible area of our lives, have been able to continue work on this, and do not owe a dime on the home. Every dime we spend is allocated and we now know where it all goes. A sacrifice to say the least, but a dream is a dream.

The first few pictures show how great it was when we started. The 5th picture shows the mold issues we had. The last picture is me, with a timer picture one of the few times I was there without the resirator on until I had the demo complete.

We did find a beautiful pink trailer home burried in the center, with additions on almost every side that I took out in pieces as I went along. Not the most fun, but I opened everything up and helped us with layout.

A complete interior and exterior gut, down to the studs, complete new electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems, new windows everywhere we could afford, tear off of the flat roof and installation of trusses, and 12 20 yard dumpsters, and every spare moment I could afford. Being a trade guy for my whole life, and as a general contractor now, I was able to call in a favor or two, and get some help when I most needed it.

When you start something like this, you really learn who your friends are, and i have had some guys who have shined. My Dad, my Brother in Law, Kent, have bought into this dream with me, and have unselfishly helped every time I called. I would not be where we are without them.

My wife, who has been a single parent every weekend, and many nights when I am in my shop working on things for the next weekends work, has been positive, and helpful during the entire project.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That started life as a trailer? Holy smokes!

That looks like a hellish project, Brent, but I am sure you will enjoy it immensely when all is said and done. And I don’t care what anyone says about Kent, he’s not that bad of a guy

Let me know when to expect the invitation. I’ll bring beer

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

As the process went along, and we continued to work when we could, things began to take shape. Electical was in, heat was in, plumbing was wrapped up. Every weekend was tied up, my sleep has suffered, and I have had to drop all extra curricular activities. I went from fishing 60 times a year, to last year of having my boat out 2 times, one being the sturgeon excursion. Thanks IDO for the break from work.

We had the exterior repaired as well as we can. Straight wall were a luxury that we did not seem to have in many situation, and in a old home, we were forced to do the best we could with what we have.

A few more pictures of as we go along, just to show where we have came from.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Now THAT’S a project. You will love it when its done. A good buddy of mine just did a similar deal on a house he bought out of foreclosure. The guy that got foreclosed on cranked the heat, plugged the drain, and turned on the water when he left, and nobody noticed for a few months. That place makes your mold look like some bread that just started turning.

Have fun when its done. All your hard work will make it that much more enjoyable.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Some exterior shots as we go.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

As we sheetrock. We did the spray foam insulation on the house. I will not ever build another property without that product. A little more money, but well worth it IMHO.

And a few shots of the vaulted ceilings in the master bed. Not trimmed out yet, but wood it beautiful.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Shot up the stairs with the wood wall and ceiling.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

A few shots of a few more things completed. I built/am building all the cabinets at home to save some $$$$, and installed the downstairs bath last weekend. Upstairs bath next weekend.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

When is the IDO grand opening party????

Nice work!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Would it have been easier to just push the old one over with a bulldozer and start from scratch?

It looks awesome now.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I feel for you Farmboy!

Last year my wife and I bought a fixer upper…….much more than most would take on and I have a weekly allowance to spend working on it and it is slow but feels so good. Keep it up and you will be able to pass that house down in the family!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

We are far from complete, but have made great progress so far. Working on finished products now after so long is great, and I am really looking forward to some finish carpentry. We plan to have the upstairs done this year so we can bring the kids down and not be concerned about their safety, and they can play there while I can work on stuff downstairs.

I guess the reason for my post, is to thank those who have helped me along the say, especially my family, who have given so much for someone elses dream. I know there is no way I can ever repay their help and support. My wife, who 3 months into the project found out she was pregnant with our 2nd child (how did that happen??), and has not backed down from or given me too much crap during this for my long days away from family, and has budgeted our family to the penny and has done all the financial pieces for me. I could not have done it without you. Love Ya Babe!

Also to let people know that you can honestly live your dreams. We started with a piece of , and in a few months will be able to stay at a home that is problably nicer then our home. With enough time, effort, and determination you can do anything you want.

There are a few guys on here who I have promised trips to. Ralph, Kev, you guys are first on the list when it is done. And in a roundabout way, BK. It was you who first got me interested in late night catfishing, and the trip we took with you cemented night fishing in my blood. Driving 45 minutes home when I can no longer stay awake enough to fish is one of the main reasons we were looking for a place.

Sorry for the long speech, but this has been my life for 2 years, and has meant a lot to me. Thanks for reading.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Congrads, you get a dat-a-boy from me as I’m a highly skilled finish carpenter. Projects such as this you should be very proud of yourself. Give the FW a dat-a-girl also, I’m sure she deserves it as well. Great job

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

My hats off to you and your wife! You will be rewarded nicely once its all completed. Thank you for sharing it is very inspirational.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Would it have been easier to just push the old one over with a bulldozer and start from scratch?

We talked about it, but we ran into a few roadblocks with the building department. It is technically on bluff land, and building there is very difficult. The best option we had, was to stay within the existing building footprint, and work our way through.

Also, from a dollars and cents approach, we could not afford to tear it all down, as we have put in a dollar here, and another there as we go. A complete tear down would have hit us very hard up front when we did not have the cash. Also, we ran into problems with getting equipment to where we need to go. It is the last house on a dead end street, and would have been forced to remove telephone poles, and numerous electrical lines to get the clearance to get there.

Thanks for the kind words guys. It means a lot.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Looks great Brent. Looking forward to a chance to put the smack down on some pool 4 cats. I know Brian doesn’t have every spot nailed down. You sure you have enough room? I like the way it is set back aways.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Farmboy, Awesome pictures. It looks great and you’ll have something you love and can be proud of when you are done. I’ve built 2 homes and remodeled a couple others, all while working my regular day job (medicine, not a carpenter). So I understand all to well working every night and every minute of a weekend to get a project done.

Awesome job and congrats.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Amazing work!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats FARMBOY and FARMGIRL!

Lookng great!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

My wife, who 3 months into the project found out she was pregnant with our 2nd child (how did that happen?)

I think Kooty can explain that one to you

Brent, are you planning to move there, or will it be a vacation getaway?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Ralph,

It is about 45 minutes from door to door, so it is not that far of a drive, even for me to crash there for some mid week fishing. We plan to use it for now. If for some reason we don’t like having it after a few years, we will sell it. I think that may be a hard day with all the blood, sweat, and tears I have into it though.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You haven’t been drinking have you? Our family cabin has been in the family for 45 years. It is nothing like as fine a place as yours but we like it. Your kids and grand kids will remember you by it. Start hanging stuff on the walls. We have 3 bucks on our walls that my grandpa shot all on the same day and pictures from the decades of hunting and fishing and fellowship we have had there.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Shure will be nice when its done. It going to be well worth the time and effort.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I love stories like that!
    Great job!!!

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

You are building memories that will last your life time. Congrats on a great job.

Just think how much fun it is going to be to just come in off the river and crash.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Simply awesome!!! Let me know when I can come poke fun at the old man and your sister for marrying that goofy son of gun.

Really wish I had the skills to take on something like this.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Now,just promise yourself,right here N now,that you will use it,enjoy it,and not become a slave to it.Congratulations and does the oven work good?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Awesome job. Thanks for posting.

We bought a fixer up cabin from my parents about 10 years ago. Spent about a year and a half on projects trying to improve the existing cabin. Spent a month on my fat belly under the cabin removing dirt from between the floor joises to replace them. Tried leveling the floor by jacking up the low corner of the cabin (6 inches out of level). Got it level, but the windows wouldn’t open and the door wouldn’t shut.

Tried chasing squirrel’s out of the attic with a broom. We finally threw in the towel and tore down the existing cabin and rebuilt. I was also fortunate that my dad and inlaws are in the trades and had quite a few great friends that helped along the way.

You’ll find out when your finally done, that there will always be something else to do.

You won’t be able to beat the memories your going to make.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Brent,

It looks great and you’re going to love it when it’s done!! I can’t believe the before and after pics!!

Wow, you have some foresight!!

Eric

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Looking great! Wonderful work you should be proud of….enjoy the bennys

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.