My River Dream; or The last 2 years of my life

• rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Now,just promise yourself,right here N now,that you will use it,enjoy it,and not become a slave to it.

This is some great advise. Dropping into slave mode is very easy because there is always something more you want to do with a place you enjoy spending time at. “Work” can become “fun” so take the time to swell the roses. From one who has been there and done both sides.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

It’s a beautiful place. I love that stone fire place.

fireline
    Rochester

Is your place just North of Hanson,s harbor ?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Maple Springs. South of Lake City.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Bringing this back from the brink of extinction because of another huge task completed. I built all the cabinets in the house, but by far the biggest was the kitchen cabinets and I finished them this weekend. Granite is being measured today and should be installed next week.

Knotty Alder wood for all the cabinets, with #2 or less Maple floors if anyone is wondering.

Being that my shop time has been from 8 PM until I need to get some sleep, this has been a long time coming.

It is nice to hit these milestones, and it will be really nice when we have an actual kitchen this summer!

Add this to the fact that I just received final word that I will start a new job in 2 weeks that will allow me more time for stuff like this and life is good!

If there are any Rochester Fire Fighters wondering about the new guys…..

and edit the title to 3 years

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Looks awesome.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

A few other projects I have done since I posted last time. There was a HUGE in ground pool that virtually eliminated any parking, was a huge eye sore, and caused (2) insurance companies to drop us, so I removed it.

A few weekends on the skid loader with a breaker hammer, 18 yards of dirt and we have a yard!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Looking good, Brent! And congrats on the new job I’ll be watching my mailbox for the invitation

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Sweet Brent. Glad to see it’s coming along and that much closer to final. Will it always be a weekend place or are you looking to live there full time.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Looking good, Brent! And congrats on the new job I’ll be watching my mailbox for the invitation

He already emailed mine?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Sweet Brent. Glad to see it’s coming along and that much closer to final. Will it always be a weekend place or are you looking to live there full time.

We plan to keep it as a weekend place. While it is very nice, the commute would be a little more than we want on a daily basis, our kids are set up in schools and daycare, and it is nice to have somewhere to kick back and relax away from home. It is a different attitude when we are down there and you can cut loose and not worry about doing laundry, cleaning the house, and all those other trivial things we do at home.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

My grandparents bought a place on the backchannel about 40 years ago. They farm in NC IA and still use it to this day (in their 70’s) as their get-away. I grew up spending many weekends there ever year. Sometimes I even hear the locals refer to a spot called “Strickers” on the backchannel, which is our last name. While the old rickety trailer house is near the end of its life, this property will never, EVER, leave the family. You made a good choice purchasing this property, the family time spent “at the river” when it is done will be priceless.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Location location location. Funny thing is I’ll be blowing through Lake City on Sunday.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ryan did you notice how Farmboy completely ignored our posts? I think that was by design.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Ryan did you notice how Farmboy completely ignored our posts? I think that was by design.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Very nice job It always feels better when you invest sweat equity and pay as you go

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Dreams are what we live for, and you are making your’s come true dude

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Good luck with the Roch Fire Dept! One of my son’s friends has been a member for a few years. You’re gonna love that schedule (if you don’t take on too many other paying jobs ).

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

welcome to the brotherhood. just started my 20th year in mpls. what schedule does rodchester work?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Pug, I don’t know. My invitation came yesterday. Yours must have gotten lost in the mail.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Even though I’ve seen this post many times before, I never before stopped in to take a look.

Pretty cool place you’re building there Brent!
    And a good story behind it all. Your determination is really paying off nicely.

I “helped” build my log home from the ground up 11 years ago.
    It was a major, major under taking for a guy who’s not as skilled in all the trades as you probably are. But it’s what I wanted for a long, long time and now my wife, our dog and I can enjoy it every single day.

As others have said, be sure to take the time to put down the hammer and enjoy it someday!

Congrats!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

You will be repayed a thoushand times over for your hard work with the amazing experiences and memories that you are creating for you children in the future! Congratulations on all the progress!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Looks nice Brent, I swing a hammer too and its nice when it starts to all come together and then be able to see the finished product.

clicker

Wow amazing job! Looks great.

One question… Why did the insurance companies drop you because of a bullhead pond? Secondly, why did you remove that beloved bullhead pond. That would have been the PERFECT bait station for you!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq4B_zHqPM

cdn
    West Central, MN

Very nice farmboy!

I know first hand what you are experiencing on this project. I spent 19 months completely gutting a house and rebuilt it from the inside and out. It was very challenging, but very rewarding! Even better that buyers wanted it quickly and fell in love with it. One piece of advice…keep it long enough so capital gains don’t ruin the experience. I’m on project #2 under much different circumstances.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.