H1N1

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Someone should start a post next year around April and ask who got the shot vs who didnt and who got the flu. The results would be interesting and probably as close to the actual truth as any study. I may be naive but when the US Govt develops vaccines and tells its citizens they are a good thing, I believe them. But I can see both sides. For years I never got the shot and i never got the flu.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Just got popped today, gave me a reason to disrobe a bit in front of females other than my wife (hard to find a deltoid under the work clothes, had to undo the belt to get everything tucked in again). That alone was worth it, although I don’t think they were too impressed! I’ll keep you posted. The shot follows no different production than the normal seasonal flu production, from what I’m seeing you don’t want this flu, esp the kidos and prego moms. Jason’s experience speaks volumes, the bug itself is not all that bad, but it opens the door for secondary infections that can be bad. Imho…CZ. Good luck with the kid Jason, gbless.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Quote:

I’ll try to avoid sounding like the guy with all the answers, but I will say this: if you decide to not get the flu vaccine this year, I hope you’re prepared to go through what my family and I have gone through over the past couple of days. Hopefully it won’t happen to you….but it might.

Jason I sincerely hope your entire family comes through clean and healthy. As to the above. I hope those that do get vaccinated for H1N1 are also prepared to go through what your family and other families have. I say that because there is no guarantee getting the vax will prevent one from getting sick and there is no credible research to prove otherwise. Same goes for the seasonal flu. A very high percentage of people that get vaccinated still get the flu while on the other hand a high percentage of people that don’t get the vax also don’t get the flu. All I’m saying is we have to be prepared either way.

I have never once had a flu shot. Some years I get the flu some years I don’t. I work in a very public environment and have school aged children. Regarding the H1N1 vax I just cannot trust that in less than a year this stuff is safe. Again we’ve known about H1N1 at least since the 70’s. Why is it that after a few hundred deaths (tens of thousands die from seasonal flu each year!) from H1 is it a pandemic and why was there no vaccine for it after 33 years of the last botched attempt? I’m probably too paranoid I know.

We did consult with both of our family doctors and both said to wait. We also consulted with our chiropractor, and laugh if you must, but he insists this vaccine is a bad idea. I pray my family stays healthy, not just during flu season, but every night all year. At this point I have to pray everyone here can stay or get healthy as well.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I’m going to die. Riverrat and all, I look at this very simply. The smokes and beer will get me first, and true flu lays you up for a week or more that I could be on the river, um, having a cup of java and a smoke and watching the ramp for entertainment. Cheers, I’m off work for MEA, another subject right there!

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

After reading this whole thread again from start to finish and all the differing points, I think this site and members are right on regardless. Jason, you got what you came for here, the members on the site are great and I’m proud to be one. Take care of the kido as I’m sure you are doing, parents have the right to do what they so choose and hopefully we’re all doing the best thing for our kids. I never did get the manual from when we brought the twins home, but hell, knowing me I would not have read it anyway.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Swine Flu Shots~ 1976 Part 1

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They could have left the crap at the end off.

Hope your families doing better Jason.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Glad to hear the kids are getting better Jason.

The debate on whether to vaccinate or not is an interesting one. Most of us aren’t considered “critical” for getting the shot. I see Luke’s wife, who is a nurse isn’t getting it, but I know the vast majority of healthcare workers in hospitals are, especially E/R’s. My wife and I will get it, when it is available.

I saw a news report about a high school girl near chicago that died after getting H1N1. After further evaluation, it was discovered that she had a heart condition that significantly contributed to her not being able to win the battle against the flu.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Thanks for sharing this Brian!! Amazing…30 + years later…nothing has changed!!! The Trump Apprentice song comes to mind right now…money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money…MONEY. I thought the blue pill red pill thing was hilarious…how ironic is that?

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Ever wonder why they quit pushing the flu shot around April or so?????
    Influenza is around 12 months out of the year, but who gets a flu shot in June??? Who talks about it in June other than the ones with a financial gain behind it?
    Give me the attenuated virus or killed virus all by itself, I run into virus’s everyday and my immune system takes care of it—it’s all the other crap that goes along with the shot I don’t want. Like posted earlier, one of the big problems with upper respiratory stuff is the 2ndary infection that can occur, which can end up being bacterial.
    Quick fixes never work, sounds much like the national health plan—–they are trying to hastingly fix the situation with duct tape.

Now, where are the saugers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jason, glad to hear your little ones are on the mend!

scottsteil
    Central MN

The original virus in not the problem, the problem is the pneumonia people infected are getting after the virus. The pneumonia is causing far mor problems then the actual virus. I am not getting vacinated either. Be careful after the virus passes and you start to feel better, the pneumonia is the real problem.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

First of all, stop listening to the media, your cousin’s nephew’s buddy, some internet blog or Dr. Phil.

Dr. Phil..good one. I think you know Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil have different degrees. Last time I checked, media was the number one spot where people get their information. Not saying it is right. I would think the internet is right up there if not past it now.

Is it wrong to question what a Doctor says? Better yet…how many years did doctors have daily/weekly catered lunches, have their time bought 5-15 minute lunch meetings for money from different drug reps.(multiple meetings during a single lunch), been given gift certificates to fancy restaurants, go on trips to resort destinations where everything was free including continuing education credits, have routine golf outings paid for…oh and here is a case of Pro-V 1s…it goes on and on and on. All paid for by the drug companies. All they would say is next time someone has this or this…have them try a free sample of “X” prescription. We have a study that shows the benefits of this…paid for by them of course. It makes me laugh and sick at the same time. $14 + BILLION dollars was used on marketing alone in previous years. That is INSANE!!! Our local radio station couldn’t accept any gift over $19.99 dollars because they considered it a conflict of interest… …but there is no conflict of interest in the previous mentioned scenarios??? LUCKILY, things have changed in the drug industry to limit what had been going on for decades!!! Now I am supposed to trust everything they say as gospel. Those days are gone for quite a few people.

Knowledge and education lead to empowerment. Collecting data from multiple sources and making an educated decision on my own is how I choose to live my life.

Sorry I got back into this…just couldn’t stay away after the feedback. I will try to focus the rest of my week on preparing for a Badger win over Iowa now.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

True flu historically did not fare well in warm, high humidity conditions, thus did not do well during the summer months. H1N1 figured that out, it did well all summer long. My concerns are not the sickness, but the fact that it learned to live during the summer and is highly contagious. Throw it back into a host with a co-infection with seasonal flu, then we have a problem imho. Out of all the stuff I see at work, honestly this bug is the worst as it is smart and too quick to keep up with. No doom saying here at all really, just need to keep track of this one again imho. OK, I’m done with this thread!

By the way, 20 hours post shot, other than a craving for lots of bacon this morning, all it good.

whittsend

BM — My post was not directed towards you personally. Sorry if you took it that way. I realize that chiropractors generally tend to have opposing views on medicine as us pharmacists…. Its different ways of promoting wellness, and we certainly are entitled to our own opinions/education. Lots of “information” out there to support multiple views on the subject. I wish that Americans weren’t so fat and unhealthy. I know pills don’t solve as much as we would like. But so many people are making decisions about flu vaccines this year based off of media hype and he said/she said recommendations. All I am saying is discuss it with your doctor before you make the call. It would be great if we could all obtain/read/interpret pertinant studies about the subject, but it takes a fairly high level of education to even know if a study was conducted properly and if the results seem valid, let alone know what the results mean for you….

I tend to think that the US would be a better place without most of the media crap that circulates… Everything except IDO, of course…. There is obviously a TON of misinformation out there… A lot of time the bad info is based on good data, just skewed or misinterpreted…

And hey, I thought the Dr. Phil comment was funny!

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

No problems here…

There always has to be a happy medium. You are dead right on the studies issue. You can take the same data and come away with two opposite conclusions. I think drugs have helped/saved many many lives. The frustrating part is when people could/should try making lifestyle choices, first, prior to taking a drug. Who’s fault is it for prescribing the drug? Could be the doctor…could be the patient…who will go somewhere else if they don’t get the drug or answer they want. I’m out…

whittsend

Here’s to lifestyle changes (excercise, eating better etc…) being a better alternative to drugs (or at least prevention of getting to the point where you need maintenance drugs) in many cases… However given the lazy factor for this country, I don’t think I’ll ever be out of a job…

Mike

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Here’s to lifestyle changes (excercise, eating better etc…) being a better alternative to drugs (or at least prevention of getting to the point where you need maintenance drugs) in many cases… However given the lazy factor for this country, I don’t think I’ll ever be out of a job…

Mike

I hope your not refering to vaccines?
    That would make no sense.

whittsend

[quote
    I hope your not refering to vaccines?
    That would make no sense.

No. Mostly for control / prevention of chronic health issues like diabetes, heart attack/stroke prevention, etc… A lot (not all) but a good portion of the health issues would be flat out avoided if people took better care of themselves. Pills help in some cases, but I would rather see someone control high blood pressure by losing 20 lbs and walking daily than by taking atenolol.

Don’t get me wrong.. There are a TON of generally good to great medications out there – but as with anything, there are risks. If the risks outweighed the benefits, the FDA would pull the drug. So in general, yes drugs most certainly have thier places in disease treatment, but everything has risks. You could be a walker to control high BP and get hit by a bus or break an ankle. Or you could take a drug and have a side effect. Everything has risks.

Its almost never black and white, though, which is what we are seeing with vaccines. With terminal illnesses like cancer, etc, you may not have much choice if you want to fight the disease. The drug itself might be proven to kill 1 out of every 100 people but cure 10. Thats better odds than nothing when your back is up against the wall.

The grey area that exists with the vaccines is the confusing part for a lot of people, and is the source of so much misinformation. Its not a relatively cut and dry situation like the cancer example. Not everyone gets the flu. Not everyone who gets it dies. People who get the shot can still get the flu potentially (although are at a lesser risk than those who didn’t get the shot). Side effects can happen, but are exceedingly rare. I can understand the confusion, but for now I’ll follow CDC guidelines for vaccines. It can save lives, potentially yours or your families. The more people that get the shot, theoretically the less the virus can propagate, spread and infect others. The CDC says to get it. They recommend almost everyone get it. I got it. But do what you want, this is my opinion, I’m not here to offer advice in any professional capacity. (Hmmm.. that makes a good signature, I should add that!! )

Mike

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Beer.Smokes. Shot. Good!

Viewing 19 posts - 31 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.