Composite deck

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Since building seems to be a hot topic.

Anybody here have info on composite decking? Would want the rails, posts and deck to all be composite. Needs to be white and 100% maintenance free. I have an existing deck that we would replace the above mentioned items. The deck stringers I would just reuse.

Anybody in the North metro do this kind of work around Princeton?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Brian,
    I’m in SE WI, so that doesn’t help you out….unless were fishing every day Trex, Correct-deck, and almost all the main brand names are good products. Keep in mind, NOTHING is 100% maintance free.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Brian,
    I’m in SE WI, so that doesn’t help you out….unless were fishing every day Trex, Correct-deck, and almost all the main brand names are good products. Keep in mind, NOTHING is 100% maintance free.

Me and a paint brush go together like gas & oil, me & catfish, Cubs and World Series titles! Some things just don’t belong together.

So…………if I don’t have to paint it I will be happy!!
    I have heard of Trex before. Thanks for the info.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My neighbor dropped a hammer on his recently, from a ways up. He’s got tongue and groove decking. So, it’ virtually impossible to replace the board that has a dent in it. Overall, the composite looks awesome and I personally would never notice the dent after a couple weeks. He however, is as anal as they come. I’m pretty sure the dent calls out to him at night. While it may be very low maintenance, keep in mind things can happen that cause maintenance.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Since building seems to be a hot topic.

Anybody here have info on composite decking? Would want the rails, posts and deck to all be composite. Needs to be white and 100% maintenance free. I have an existing deck that we would replace the above mentioned items. The deck stringers I would just reuse.

Anybody in the North metro do this kind of work around Princeton?

Brian, I too am a long ways away from helping you. But let me assure you that No Decking is 100% maintenance free. There are hundreds if not thousands of composite deck companies out there now. Do your research if you would like, but I would never put down a white deck board. I might put a white railing up but not a white deck board. Reason being is that for it to be truly white it would have to be vinyl (BAD idea for decking) We sell Timbertech and Trex at my lumberyard. I put timbertech on my deck 6 years old this year and I think it still looks great. Only maintance is preasure washing it every spring.

PS the only 100% maintenance free thing out there is a coffin.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

PS the only 100% maintenance free thing out there is a coffin.

Oh, come on! What a depressing quote.

jdoely

Brian,

Check out Azek Decking. I have worked with this product a few times now and am very impresed with it. It is the most scratch and dent resistant Composite product i have come across..
    Trex is also very nice but if you have kids or dogs it is going to get scratched.. Stay away from the tongue and groove or hollow stuff i have seen lots of problems. My .02

Lee

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Ah… yeah…
    Kooty, AB didn’t drop the hammer, someone else did. No not me. –Mark

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I wish I would have know Stickboy when I did our patio. He could be leveling off the blocks after they settled.

…I used a Midwest Vinyl company for my siding and windows. The windows are ok…but the siding…
    BIG mistake.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I was just being nice. Cuz I figured it was you.

Brian Hoffies

Thanks for the suggestions.

Stick Boy and a couple others have sent pm’s so the project should start rolling if I won’t require stimulus money.

Roofer
    Minnesota

Yep, Azek, very good stuff!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.