Official 2009 IDO Sweet Corn thread!

• ggoody
    Mpls MN

All right boys and girls! I just picked up my first good batch of Sweet Corn here in MPLS! A veggie stand on 46th ST and Minnehaha Ave S for those of you in Hood! 7 bucks a dozen.

I’ll rate it a strong 8 out of 10. Supposedly it’s from Waverly Mn and picked fresh daily.

So let us know your favorite go to spots covering all of IDO land for Sweet corn and any tricks you have for freezing it up for the winter.

I know you Hastings area guys have some good Corn connections so post away!…

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

HERE IN “CORNFIELD COUNTY” FAIRMONT HAVE BEEN ENJOYING SWEETCORN FOR WEEKS NOW. ALOT OF STANDS ARE OUT NOW AND THE PRICE IS DOWN TO $3 A DOZEN.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I have yet to have some sweet corn this year that I’ve been happy with. Most corn looks and smells good but ends up tasting like field corn. So far the best was from the Wal-store for 10 cents an ear but that was early June. I’ll be looking forward to some GOOD and SWEET responses here

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

we went to the Melrose Cornfest this weekend.. since the price of grilled corn on the cob was FREE, there is no complaining. Was it the best corn? no..
    I have a little stand in LaCrescent, that has the best corn that I have ever had.. unbelievable quality. VERY PRICEY.. but the finest that I have ever had.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

The lady set up in front of Prince Bait on 169 near Milaca has good corn. She has been getting $6/dozen. But she usually runs out before I go by at 5:30 pm.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

For the LA Crosse, West Salem, Sparta area and any one willing to take a road trip there is only one place to get your sweet corn…..Jolivette’s on HWY 16 in West Salem.
    We have been buying a dozen to a dozen and a half for 4 weeks now.
    After some bad corn from set up stands and other markets we don’t go anywhere else anymore, lesson learned.

Picking up 12 dozen this week being it is just right for freezing now. Nothing better than frozen sweet corn in the middle of February

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Got some mediocre stuff in Paynesville this weekend. 4 of the ears were really good. One was really over ripe, one was really under ripe. Should have held off for the Belgrade corn

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

For anyone in the Wabasha area Schurhammers bi-color corn is the gold standard. Can be gotten at Scheels grocery.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Is it just me or are the young ladies selling the corn and MELONS just that much hotter than in years past.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Yellow Dog, normally I would agree with you but…..we’ve had two batches of Schurhammer’s from Scheels already and both were too old…like eating glue.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I have noticed that the venders have gotten more attractive and the outfits much skimppier than in the past.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I’m guessing and have been hearing a lot of the corn so far is field corn or out-state. I think with the way the weather has been this growing season some of the Great sweat corn is a bit behind and will be hopefully arriving soon…

casygram
    DeWitt, IA

The good looking hired help is probably directly related to the $7/dozen corn or vice versa.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Brett.. you go to the Buehlers stand just past the lights in LaCrescent, buy their corn and then come and tell me about it.

try it once. just one time. that’s all I am going to say on the subject.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Is it just me or are the young ladies selling the corn and MELONS just that much hotter than in years past.

and younger!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Quote:

and younger!

That and I am more of a dirty old man. I am glad that I have a son.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Quote:

Yellow Dog, normally I would agree with you but…..we’ve had two batches of Schurhammer’s from Scheels already and both were too old…like eating glue.

I.ve only had one batch from Scheels and thought it was pretty good but I do like my corn a little more mature than some. Maybe you got the tail end of a load?

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

For the LA Crosse, West Salem, Sparta area and any one willing to take a road trip there is only one place to get your sweet corn…..Jolivette’s on HWY 16 in West Salem.

I’ll second that. Bret is a sweet corn junkie and he’s got it nailed – Jolivettes corn is awesome again this year. Actually I like all of their produce – their cabbage later in the season makes great sauer kraut too – right buddy?

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

The gal and I have had 3 fantastic batches in a stand east of 494 and Bass Lake Road. There’s another stand that’s the same people by Cub Food in Plymouth as well. VERY good stuff … and this rating comes from my gal who’s a former SoDak farm girl that knows her corn!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

There is a truck up in Cumberland, WI that says Pepin Corn on it. It was selling for 7.00 a dozen up until last weekend. Now they have another truck across the street and the price has dropped to 5.00 per dozen.

There is a blond lady selling corn out of the Pepin truck that tends to wear the minimum amount of clothing allowed by law. Needless to say where I buy my corn from. There is also this skinny dude that is usually selling the corn with her (presumably her boyfriend or husband). In addition to their truck saying Pepin Sweet corn, it also says something about Peaches and Cream. I just found out this past weekend that Peaches and Cream was actually the type of corn and her name isn’t Peaches or Cream.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

I got some from a stand off Hwy 65 in Cambridge but didn’t care for it. That was a few weeks ago though so maybe it wasn’t local?

Next time I’ll look for the good looking women, thanks for that tip!

Roofer
    Minnesota

Just went out today again for another quick swath. Picked out 6 dozen or so from a field of a friend. He plants 8 rows, about a half mile long with irrigation. Great corn right now. Not so ripe and woody. After killing off most of the coons the last couple years, it hasn’t been hit much at all this year.

This guy grows some of the best corn in the area. He says “If you have to floss after eating corn…the corn is too far gone”

BrianK’s Cousin
    Hastings

In Hastings – we had Mac’s Corn – located on Hwy 61 at 16th street (Next to the Laundromat). Gave some to my FM and then the old guy and I ate 7 ears between the two of us – IT WAS AWESOME. But I think it might have been a couple too many.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

In Hastings – we had Mac’s Corn – located on Hwy 61 at 16th street (Next to the Laundromat). Gave some to my FM and then the old guy and I ate 7 ears between the two of us – IT WAS AWESOME. But I think it might have been a couple too many.

Always good corn from Mac’s! Year after year! Candy Corn…the yellow and white.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.