Coast Guard tells Griz no more guiding on the Riv!

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Kinda ironic, huh? Look out for the “Best Interests” of the American public…so BUY JAPANESE!!!!

Not knocking anyone for buying Japanese motors…personally I love Yamaha…but in this case…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

Ya Brian enough of the depressing stuff. Ya its a cool boat and the coast guard at that, I wonder if I had my thumb out I could hitch a ride, even for a few minutes would be way neat.

Just put up a flare…..I’m sure you would get a ride

Or a ticket for no longer having a flare.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Oh come now Tuck…I have lots of flair.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Only the kind you color with!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Cool boat I’ve seen the Coast guard on Pool 2 a few times this season!

Are there any outboards made in the USA any longer?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Mercury and Evinrude in WI…Suzuki and the Johnsons were/are built in San Diego…Heck, Honda could be too as far as I know!

Yamaha still comes over on a boat as far as I know.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Found this on the Net… Thanks Da_chise_31

River guides are forced back to school

by Dennis Anderson, Star Tribune

If you’re looking for a fishing or hunting guide on the St. Croix, Mississippi or Minnesota rivers, look again. And again. Chances are you won’t find one. Most, it turns out, have been sidelined — temporarily, if not permanently — by the U.S. Coast Guard and its decision to enforce federal licensing requirements on those waters.

The Coast Guard’s efforts in recent weeks have sidelined some of the state’s biggest names in guiding, including Richard (Griz) Grzywinski of St. Paul. Griz is among the best and most experienced multi-species guides in the state. In recent years, due to his advancing age and the resurgence of walleye populations in metro regions of the Mississippi and St. Croix, he has concentrated more on these waters and less on lakes up north.

Griz is one of as many as 30 guides who have been contacted as far south as Iowa by Twin Cities-based Coast Guard representatives. Virtually none have the “Six Pack” license the Coast Guard requires of anyone carrying passengers for pay on these waters.

Griz, who supports himself guiding, has lost more than a month’s work since the Coast Guard contacted him. “I guess I have to take the course to get the license,” he said. “I make my living off those rivers. I haven’t gone to school in a long time and hardly read anymore. But I’m going to have to take the course if I want to work.”

To attain a license, guides must attend a course given by independent contractors — community colleges, in some instances — lasting about 60 hours. Additionally, prospective licensed guides must know CPR and must agree to submit to random drug tests. A special work permit intended, basically, to screen terroristic fishing and hunting guides also must be obtained.

Total cost: about $1,000.

“They say if you don’t have a license and you get caught guiding, the penalty is $10,000 a day,” Griz said.

Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer John Nay said Thursday the effort — some call it a crackdown — became a priority this summer for the six Coast Guard officers stationed at Fort Snelling. Nay’s office reports to one in St. Louis, and apparently the guide-compliance directive came from there.

“The waters we’re concerned with in Minnesota are the Minnesota, the Mississippi to its headwaters, and the St. Croix River to Taylors Falls,” Nay said.

Nay said he and others in his office, along with members of the local Coast Guard Auxiliary, have used the Internet and other means this summer to locate guides working on these rivers. They’ve also visited bait shops and marinas in an attempt to find guides.

“Because ours is a small office, we haven’t enforced this requirement in the past,” Nay said. “Basically, since 9/11 we’ve been involved with more security issues. Now we’ve been trying to educate guides about the requirement and notify them that if they don’t comply and they are caught on the water or we learn of their operations, an enforcement action can be taken.”

Griz said the Coast Guard representative who called his house was abrupt, if not rude, when informing him that he needed to be licensed. Another guide who asked not to be named said he received a call instructing him to “Get off the river immediately.”

Nay said that to his knowledge, no Coast Guard auxiliary member has contacted guides personally. Most auxiliary members are retirees, or nearly so, who own their own boats and want to participate in Coast Guard work as volunteers.

In June the Coast Guard began training auxiliary members, who then joined with active duty officers in identifying guides to contact.

When a guide was contacted, he or she was asked if they wanted to “submit to an inspection,” Nay said.

Most said no once they realized they could pass the inspection only if they held a Six Pack license.

Taking a course isn’t a prerequisite to submitting to the Coast Guard exam, Nay said. But the test would be difficult to pass without formal preparation. A CPR course also is recommended in advance of the test, say some who have taken it and become licensed.

“Grandfathering in” experienced guides isn’t possible, Nay said.

Also, licensed guides are welcome to — if not encouraged to — snitch on unlicensed guides to the Coast Guard, Nay conceded. Some guides who have lost business and income in recent weeks since the Coast Guard’s effort began say that’s what has occurred in this case.

Whether that’s true is beside the point, Nay suggested.

“If someone hires a guide to go on one of these rivers, there is a level of professionalism that is expected on behalf of the client,” he said. “The client is expecting the guide to have a level of expertise.” For that to happen, licensing of guides is necessary, Nay said.

Maybe. But making a living also is necessary, and many of the guides involved — Griz is one — have been working for decades with little to show for it in terms of money. But their clienteles are happy. And I can’t remember an incident involving a fishing guide anywhere in Minnesota in which a client was hurt.

The Coast Guard could have implemented its new program and enforcement effort more gradually, it seems, allowing guides to finish out their summers in advance of taking the first Six Pack course, which isn’t available until later this fall.

As Griz said, “They sure threw a wrench into my summer, I’ll tell you that.”

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Any lawyers out there???

What is the legality of giving a fishing seminar on dry land for $300…and taking some friends out fishing afterwards?

I am dead serious.

It still chaps my that anyone can go by a 40-50 foot party barge and blow up and down river with the booze flowing like mad with as many people as they can cram on…and not need Coast Guard certification to do so.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

What is the legality of giving a fishing seminar on dry land for $300…and taking some friends out fishing afterwards?

Last I heard from a reliable source is that the above person would receive a ticket and it would be decided in court. The officer gets paid to go to court, we don’t.

If the party boats are charging a fee, they would have to have a license too. I know, that’s not your point.

What bothers me, it these articles suggest that no one is guiding on the rivers and that’s just not the case.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“I haven’t gone to school in a long time and hardly read anymore. But I’m going to have to take the course if I want to work.”

My God that sounds sad. It’s like we are forcing the end of an era and way of life. A simple man is not allowed to live off the river any longer. I think it safe to say those days are GONE and I cannot say I am happy about it.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Not a real good choice of words there “Ruger”. I’m sure the guides out there really appreciate the business from those good people from Iowa !!! Or anywhere else they may come from. Glenn

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.