Reel Maintenance

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Hello Guys,
    I have a little problem with one of my favorite reels. It’s about 3 years old, it’s a Shimano Stradic 1000, the white ones, and it is starting to turn a little rough. I have used the Shimano oil in the reel and it doesn’t seem to make it run much smoother, and than a day later, it’s rough again. I need to get the little guy overhauled. Do any of you guys have any recommendations on what to use to get my Stradic running smooth again? I’m not afraid to take it apart, I just need to know what to do to get her running again. Any help would be appreciated!

waleyangler
    woodbury,mn

ive used reel magic for 10 years and it seems to get them workin again.. its the only thing ive used on my reels. hope this helps

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I too like reel magic. But you better “look under the hood” so-to-speak! If you have debris in there, it will just keep eating up the gears and bearings in there. Just open the cover, wash it out, spray with wd40, put in reel magic, close cover, go fish like having a new reel.

hisser
    Chatfield, Mn

It sounds to me like you may have a couple of dirty bearings, I usually soak the bearings in acetone, some use lighter fluid, then add your lube but only a drop, should be good as new unless you actually have a damaged bearing.

Bullet21XD

That’s basically what I do as well. Pull the bearings, soak in mineral spirits a day or two, dry for a few hours, soak in paint thinner for a day or two, let dry again at least overnight on a paper towel. Then let soak for a day in oil.

I also clean the entire reel with LPS spray while it’s apart.

Seems extensive…but i’ve got several Curado’s that are 8 years old and still smooth as the day they came out of the box.

Good winter project, anyhow…and keeps the reels in perfect working order.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.