Side Imaging

• gisvold
    Norway Iowa

Hello all,
    I would like know how a transom mounted transducer can “see” what is on the port side of a boat with the motor in the way? Also the extra distance from the transducer to open water, and a kicker in the way. Even “seeing” out the starboard side wouldn’t the transom interfere with the cone of the transducer until it hit open water on a horizontal line of sight.

tanks
    lee

WarrenMN2

The side scan beam going out to the sides is very narrow. The distance from the transom to the lower unit is usually wide enough for the beam to fit through, think of it like a sheet of paper going out to each side.
    If you did have problems you can do like I did. Humminbird has several different types of splitter cables. One lets you run right and left side scan transducers so you can mount one on each side of the transom, blanking out the in between for the side scan.
    I say several splitter cables as there is one that will let you split off the vertical beam so you can use their smaller vertical only transducer for a better high speed set up, but mine works fine up to top end.

Warren Parsons

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.