Trailer Tires

• BShimp
    Hudson, WI

I know this subject has been posted in the past but wanted to raise the questions again. My trailer is an Eagle single axle rated at 3500 lbs. Since it was new in 2003 I’ve replaced 6 Carlisle tires, all of which have exploded at highway speeds. I’ve never made it through a season without a blow out and annual mileage is less then 1,000 miles.

I’ve googled carlisle tires and have read alot about the similar experiences from trailer and rv owners. I’ve done the obvious – check tire pressure, alignment, bearing, etc. I haven’t weighed boat and trailer but can’t imagine I’m over 3500 lbs.

Anyone else having similar issues with Carlisle or Goodyear tires? I’m about to change all tires to Goodyear to see if things improve.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Have you contacted Carlisle and let them know about this?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Everyone I have spoken to regarding Carlisle’s have the same issue and I (my wife driving) also have had a blow out on the highway.

I replaced the Carlisle tires on my Eagle trailer and am on my 4th season running Goodyear Marathons. Tire pressure is always good and the wear has also been good. I think most people here as I would suggest running with the Marathons.

IMO the Carlile tires are truely junk. I am really surprised that a premium maker of boat trailers like Eagle would sell their trailers with Carlisle tires.

perchhead

Go to goodyear marathon radials. I also had this same problem until I put these tires on.

jerry b
    western WI

I just finished replacing my last of two Chinese Nankangs. Both had cord failure. Luckily I caught them in time. Went to Discount Tire for replacements, wouldn’t you know it, both are Carlisles. I asked about their reputation and had the standard; “we’re aware of no problems” Think I’ll go back when I get home and have a chat with the boys jerr

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I have never gotten more then one season on Carlisle’s.
    I just put a new set of Power King Tow Max tires on my rig hope to get some miles on these. The last set of Marathons I had did not do well for me.
    These Tow Max are radials, the Carlisle tires to my knowledge are not a radial tire. And are usually under sized for the trailers that I have used.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

IMO the Carlile tires are truely junk. I am really surprised that a premium maker of boat trailers like Eagle would sell their trailers with Carlisle tires.

600 miles. That’s all a Carlisle tire is good for in my experience. When I had an Eagle bunk trailer under my boat I was replacing tires multiple times per season until I switched brands. My recommendation would be to switch to the Goodyear tires and know you’ll have thousands of trouble free towing miles ahead of you.

BShimp
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for everyone’s input. The comments you all made were similar to those I read from a google search on Carlisle. I did contact them with the first 2 failures and they paid for progressive damage to the fender on the first failure. But I’m tired of the headaches and will change tire brands with hopes of fewer problems.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Too bad you didnt check this site before using 6 of those grenades. After my first C-blowout many years ago I changed to Goodyear Marathons. Still on my first set!

jackb
    liberty missouri

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have a friend who tows a fifth wheel, and he had TWO carlisle blow out at the same time. Caused a lot of damage to the trailer. Being in the auto service business, we called all our tire suppliers and to a man they all recommended Towmaster tires. At the time, I had just bought a new boat, motor trailer and did not hesitate to switch out the tires to Towmaster. The Carlisles also have junk for valve stems. Hope this helps you. Jack

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

How much PSI do you guys fill your tires to?

I’m running a Spartan single axle with a 18′ Crestliner?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.