Boating Accident At Red Wing Dam

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

http://kaaltv.com/article/stories/S946210.shtml?cat=10151

Quote:

Rescue crews respond to Red Wing boat accident

Emergency crews are pulling people out of the Mississippi River in Red Wing following a boat accident Sunday evening.

The Goodhue County Sheriff’s Office said approximately 11 people were riding on a 40-foot boat.

It appears whoever was driving the boat attempted to make a sharp maneuver and everyone on board was thrown into the river.

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has a crew on the way. Watch for a live report tonight at 10 p.m.

Chris Tuckner reported two ambulances going to the Hastings Hospital.

baldwin4
    NE IA

Lets pray there is no fatalities and everyone is okay

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Hope everyone is ok.

I wonder if he had a captains license and a TWIC card?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Channel 9 reported everyone is out of the water including the 10 and 5 year old.

They were taken to three hospitals.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Saw it happen 100 yards in front of me. I pulled them from the river. All but the driver who swam back to the boat. sent 3 with another boat. Had ten peopple in my boat. Was not a site to see. Two young kids involved too. some injurys.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

How can that even happen in a 40 foot boat?

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Nice job Stick Boy! I prey everyone is ok.

loshinit420

Man I hope all involved are doing ok, is there any info on why the driver felt the need to bend over backwards and shove his head up his [censored]?? I can’t imagine what it would be like to be responsible for the deaths of 10 people 2 being kids, when are people gonna learn to think???!!!!!!!! Everybody please be careful out there, yes it’s fun but its not a game! Stick Boy you da man

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

I hope everyone will be ok. Great job helping out Stick Boy!!!

jon_wbl

What is it about the holidays that bring out the most challenged boaters?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Way to go Jay!

I’ll be intrested in the details comming out of this one.

This is the second on the water rescue by IDO members this year Both on the mighty Miss.

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Prayers sent that everyone is ok. What a scary thing to happen and for the driver.
    Way to go Stickboy, glad you were there to help in saving these people

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Way to go Stick!!!

Glad to hear all made it out of the water!!!!

Ted

baldwin4
    NE IA

Well done Stickboy You should be commended. Good thing someone was around

ace_hurlburt
    Stillwater MN / Houston Tx

Well done stick boy. That is the type of action we need from us folks on the water. Heroic!!! To say the least!!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Despite what the media is reporting there was no wake to be hit. I missed the down going lock and was floating out front waiting for the cycle. The boat came down stream at a high rate of speed I would say no less than 50 saw the lock was closed and tried to make a u turn. There was no wake to be hit as I was the only boat there for 5 min. it was calm. He cranked it to sharp and the boat spun out. It did not flip. All passangers and the driver were thrown from the boat. The kids were the only one wearing life jackets. When the slpash ended we seen heads bobbing in the water and we new it wasnt right. We hurried over and started getting people out of the water. Ten min or more went by before the next boat arrived and another 10-15 before the water patrol showed up. Several were bleeding some in shock as when they got in the boat they reported no injuries but as time past the pain started to set in. I think all but 3 went to the hospital. One guy that we couldnt get in the boat said he couldnt move his legs he looked to be the most injured. This all happening no more tha a 2-3 hundred yards in front of the dam. This could have turned out much, much worse.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Just watched the news cast, why don’t they ever interview the HERO, nice job Jay and crew! (not bad for a guy that never gets to go fishing)
    “For whatever reason we dodged a bullet” the sherrif said, pretty sure you could get a key to Redwing for this one Someone should call the sherrif so he knows why they dodged a bullet, not even a mention that a fisherman saved these people.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Just watched the news cast, why don’t they ever interview the HERO, nice job Jay and crew! (not bad for a guy that never gets to go fishing)
    “For whatever reason we dodged a bullet” the sherrif said, pretty sure you could get a key to Redwing for this one Someone should call the sherrif so he knows why they dodged a bullet, not even a mention that a fisherman saved these people.

You said it all!!!
    Great job Stick!!!!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Good job Jay! Good thing for those people that there was a RESPONSIBLE boater with a large boat nearby.

dd

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Quote:

You said it all!!!
    Great job Stick!!!!

Amen

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good job Stick! They were lucky to have you there.

-J.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Just saw the newscast, this looked like a case of more money than brains. How do you launch everyone out of a 40′ powerboat!?!

Did the guy have a lanyard on to kill the engines? This could have been an awful ending. Sounds like he could be facing reckless boating charges.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

All thumbs up to you Stick Boy . Thata was a great thing you did. You are a true HERO in my book.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Very very nice job Jay and Crew!

What hasn’t been mentioned in detail is that this all happened too close to the lock and dam.

There is an outdraft that takes whatever is in the water towards the dam. When a barge is heading down stream, they send Little Charlie another tow boat up to keep the barg up agains the wall…because the current is strong enough to pull the tow with all of it’s barges toward the dam.

These people were in that same current…heading towards the dam. Since these are roller dams, the water (and people) are suck under, then through the dam only to be spewed out below the dam drown.

Way to go guys!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Stick, the families were on the news tonight, and they said they hope to contact you. I hope they can! You were their “Angel” according to them.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Stick – Awsome job. I’m sure you were only reacting to the situation, but that is what heros do! Great job! I’ve been on the other side of the fence where I watched people burn up in a car accident. It is the most helpless feeling I know. When instinct makes you rush in and all you can do is watch the worse happen. I am gratefull you did not exerience watching the loss of life, rather you were able to prevent it. Again, great job!

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Stick Boy It’s going to be hard to ever top that fishing story.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I just saw that boat on the news, that was the same boat that buzzed me on the river down form Everts, he locked thru going up river with us, they are very blessed that stick was there.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.