HOG fisherman-We see you!

• riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

We went to the G.A.F.F. for some rest, relaxation, and fishing today. Over all we had a wonderful time doing all three as usual. The owners are always entertaining and the river scenery is always beautiful. Fishing was slow in the afternoon hours but was picking up towards the end. The big perch were around just often enough to keep people hoping for another one. But what follows always has a way of creeping into ones good time with threats of wrecking the day.

I hate to complain but I will because there was a gross example of hog fisherman as well today. On the float many people fish with rod holders and a dead stick, a very effective tactic indeed. But when the place is crowded (it wasn’t today) people have to work together so everyone fits. Not today. Three fisherman absolutely HOGGED the entire Wisconsin side and the south end of the float with their holders. One guy, the worst one, was using SIX rods and holders! Now he would occasionally have his two young kids (maybe 6 and 8) over there as if 4 of the rods were theirs. But VERY clearly he was fishing the 6 rods. At one point he even bragged that using 6 rods has him one fish short of a double limit. Now maybe one of the kids had their own license allowing for the extra fish, I don’t know. The other two guys would glare and stare at anyone who would dare go into “their” area to fish. So I made sure to do it often. I never said a word just went in anytime they went to chat or otherwise left a hole open. They’d come back and just stare as if I was in their living room. I never crowded them, just fished in the vicinity. These guys were absolute HOGS and made fishing uncomfortable for others. I’m sure when, or if, these boneheads are in a boat they are the same ones who anchor in the middle of a good drift after they see someone catch a fish. Too bad the DNR wasn’t on this pool today.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Does anyone monitor the float? Where were the owners while this guy was “double limiting?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure with the WI DNR does, but while fishing a park in Mpls a couple years ago, an IDO member had his young son along. The rods were leaning on a rail and most of use were sitting in chairs watching them. When the DNR stopped in, they asked about the extra rod. When they said it was the boys…they walked over to him and asked him which rod was his. I’m not sure how they would have handled it if he would have shrugged his shoulders and I’m glad we didn’t have to find out!

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

I’ve come up with a new motto in life….

KILL THEM (IDIOTS) WITH KINDNESS!!!!

So how was fishing? Did this one SOB ruin your day? If so bummer….. Life’s short, head down shore or up shore.

10 and 11 lb caught (and killed) from shore at Alma yeaterday. Bummer for all those eggs but my point is there’s a lot of shore line on the mighty Miss and you can’t fix stupid……

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

The other day I was fishing the bank acrossed from the wall in genoa I set the hook on what I thought was a bite and the pole of the amish guy acrossed from me went flying off the wall. I returned it baited up and everyone had a good laugh.

On the float the next day I was fishing a current seam where no one else was even close to. I stuck 3 nice eyes in a row. Then a guy came over and started fishing blocking me from making an effective cast at the seam. He didn’t have a clue of how to fish it. Anyway I moved caught a couple little one and guess what he’s back. So I go back to the original spot stick another nice fish and again he cuts me off. At that time I had enough and moved to concentrate on the perch. I am all for sharing but to cut a guy off from a hole where he was catching fish first is as rude as it gets.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Quote:

I’ve come up with a new motto in life….

KILL THEM (IDIOTS) WITH KINDNESS!!!!

So how was fishing? Did this one SOB ruin your day? If so bummer….. Life’s short, head down shore or up shore.

10 and 11 lb caught (and killed) from shore at Alma yeaterday. Bummer for all those eggs but my point is there’s a lot of shore line on the mighty Miss and you can’t fix stupid……

Fishing was on and off, mostly slow. This HOG in no way ruined my day. But others on the float seemed a little put off. Maybe i misread them.

The difference between one guy fishing with 6 rods and one guy keeping a 10 and 11 pound walleye is the one guy with 6 lines is ILLEGAL, keeping the big fish isn’t. Even calling it killing doesn’t make it illegal. I understand what you mean by killing them with kindness. But confronting them in any way would likely have resulted in a bad day. Falsely pretending to like them or patronizing them isn’t my style.

The float owners could I suppose monitor the activities of the float. But they have no legal means to do anything and hassling your clients isn’t always a good idea, especially in these lean economic times. The HOGS will have their day. And when they do I’m sure it will be someone else that caused them to break the law.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.