Pool 4 Question’s

• kevinh1570
    New Richmond, Wi

Looking to fish pool 4, but have never been on the Mississippi. Any info or pointers would be nice.
    I have a bunch of ????

Where’s the best place to launch i live up by Hudson Wi.

Do i have to worry about wing dams?

Do you just go around wing dams?

How are the launch’s?

After you get off can you leave your boat out side with-out hurting the motor?(Frezzing)

I’ve got the itch to go but need some help before i just go out and would rather not pay hundreds of dollars for a guide thanks in advance for any help

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Best answer for ALL your questions can be answered easly by going to Everts Resort,Bay City, WI and talk to Dean at the bait shop .He can and will answer all your questions and tell you exactly what to use and where to start . Now is getting to be the best time to fish and NO BETTER place to start the season then at Everts.

It’s the hottest spot on pool 4. you can launch there also.

Bring fresh baked peanut butter cookies for the better advice

Freezing is not an issue …

I stand corrected by Eric,I did mean Hager city NOT Bay City. and welcome to IDO

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

First off Evert’s is in Hager city. The very closest place you can launch to get up to the dam. Bay city is farther south.
    As for your questions,
    Evert’s resort would be your best bet. The ramps are always open, and not iced up. The best up to date info also.
    As for wingdams, yes and no. There are 4 wingdams total on the upper end of pool 4. The vermillion wingdam is marked with a bouy so you should be fine on that one. The other 3 are on the minnesota shoreline on the roller side. You may be able to drift over top of them right now with the high water but I would strongly strongly suggest to not do that. There is plenty of room to get around them.
    As for the motor, yes you will be fine. This time of year you should have no problem, just make sure when you start your motor the next time out fishing you let it warm up and make sure that it is spitting water before you take off.

Any other questions just hollar.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Welcome to IDO Kevin!!! I would second the advice. Go to Everts resort. They have the best (and most) launches around! Always someone to give you a hand if needed. Dean will point you in the right direction for fish. Wingdams are not too much of a concern with the water coming up now, but still good to know where they are. (Ask Dean for the free map). I hear ya on the price of a guide…..however, you WILL learn more from 8 hours on the water with a seasoned guide than you will learn by yourself even after dozens of trips to the river. If you have never fished it before, it’s definitely worth thinking about. I would contact Dustin Stewart here on IDO if you’re interested! Won’t find a better guide/teacher out there! If you go on your own, good luck and have fun!!!!! Again, welcome to IDO. Steve Vick

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Welcome to the site, Kevin!

outdoor_guy
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

Welcome ! Not to sound like a broken record, but definiteley go to Everts and talk with Dean. Very open with information also keeps on display the days best producing baits. If you can afford a Guide it’s well worth it. The skills you learn there can be applied on other river systems too.
    Good luck

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Have to 2nd the guys information as posted and welcome to the site.
    Many people go to the river after reading reports of good fishing with high hopes, only to be dashed and never return.
    If you are serious about catching fish, and more importantly, learning how to catch fish–place some money value on education and hire a guide. We all spend endless thousands of dollars on fishing equipment, trinkets,latest baits, boats, motors, fishfinders with cool colors, etc—and then go out and have a very frustrating day.
    It’s so true that 10 percent of the fisherman catch 90 percent of the fish–sure you can stumble on a few and there are some days they are so dumb that anyone can catch them–but I’d rather spend the money on a guide, learn the process and be one of the 10 percenters.
    I have seen plenty of guys in expensive rangers that could not catch a walleye out of a wet paper bag–they sure look the part.
    At least pull up every old river report for the site from the past springs, read them and repeat what worked.

Good luck and welcome to the river.

Jeremy

jhalfen

Quote:

I have seen plenty of guys in expensive rangers that could not catch a walleye out of a wet paper bag–they sure look the part.

Jeremy, are you talking about me?

You must have missed the pic of that big carp I caught last Monday.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

We all spend endless thousands of dollars on fishing equipment, trinkets,latest baits, boats, motors, fishfinders with cool colors

I just know that you are not talking about you and me…….

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Good one,
    Have to point the finger at me too–10lb carp was my big fish from last weekend.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.