Gloves??

• CrappieChatt

Alright you northern fishers must know what kind of gloves that work the best. I know I will hafta pull them off to retie but, is there a glove the can get wet unhooking fish and still be fine? I have Cabelas & Bass Pro near or is there another place that I could order them from? <*)}}}><

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Seems a lot of guys don’t get the feel and grip on the fish with gloves on. If you watch a lot of them they pull their gloves off as soon as the fish clears the hole. If you want to use gloves then perhaps rather then spend a ton on one pair of gloves get a bunch of the Jersey style gloves with the grips. Then just rotate into dry gloves as needed.
    Just a thought.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

The ice armor gloves are good. There is a cabelas brand that is better, but they’re spendy. Like $40 spendy

Calvin may be able to hook us up with a link to the cabelas brand.

In my opinion, the best thing you do is attach a towel to your suit and use it when the gloves come off.

I usually use thin leather gloves, but the seem to always get soaked in a flurry of fish action even using my attched towel.

interceptor

Best ones I’ve found to date are the Kinco model 1790 “Warm Grip” thermal gloves. Black knit acrylic with the dipped palm. Waterproof, easy on the fishies and warm. They allow quite a bit of dexterity, very form fitting. They aren’t warm enough for the ATV/Sled ride out to the shack, but they’re fine for the fishing part. At $4.50 a pair, can keep a couple extra pair in the sled if you get your hands wet.

redneck
    Rosemount

What I use for open water fishing in the winter is a pair of latex gloves with a pair of jersey gloves over them. I carry multiple pairs of jersey gloves and switch out throughout the day as they get wet. I remove the jersey gloves for tying knots and the latex gloves still provide some protection but have great flexibility. Even as the Jersey gloves get wet from holding fish they still feel warm with the latex gloves under them.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

latex gloves are very very warm.. and whats so goofy, is that you put your hand in the water.. and its cold and take it out and its warm RIGHT NOW.. and just shake the remaining water off the glove..

as for regular use.. insulated deer skin gloves are the only gloves that I have used for 30 years.. they are tougher to come by these days.. but they have been the best..

most pair last me about 6 -7 years.. and then the left glove wears out.. ( it’s my driving hand).. The right hand is still good 15 years later..

red89
    Hudson

I get a pretty good grip on fish with my ice armor gloves, and I like to leave one on so i can stick my hand in the hole and grab fish with it

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Ice Armor for me

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Ice armor for me, and dry my hands off on a golf towle I have attached to my coat before I put them back on.

Just for fun when I got them I shoved them straight into a hole, since I was fishing in a heated house, and had no use for them that weekend.

GOOD thing! If you shove them down a hole they will get wet, and freeze. They will keep you dry, but they will not keep you warm.

That being said after 2 days of drying out I have wore them just about every day on the ice since for 2 years. hould I ever need to re-place them I won’t think twice about getting the same thing.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I like my ice armor ones too and I like them best for hunting as I can feel my trigger pretty well with them.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Hi Chatt
    Yes sir ice armor here also. They are really warm and like someone said they are a pain to put back on when your hands are just damp much less wet. However they make mittens (I have never tried, maybe someone will give their opinion) that the fingers fold back out of your way to allow you to tie or remove a fish. I just used mine Saturday at Hillsdale and after a few fish they get a little slimy but you can rub them together in the water and they are clean and your hands remain dry. I think the palms and fingers are seal skin and the rest of the shell is nylon. The next best thing is wool gloves with leather gloves over them. And if you get them big enough they pull off easy and pull back on almost as easily, plus they will keep your hands pretty warm. As long as you keep them dry.

CrappieChatt

Thanks fishers. I’ll be heading to Cabela’s soon. I knew you fishers would come thru with the best info to be had. You are the best. <*)}}}><

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

I’m also in that group that carries multiple pairs and just change out as necessary. I don’t use Jersey gloves though. The ones are use came from Fleet Farm and were just a couple bucks a pair. Not sure of the material, but they’re camo colored and have the rubber tips on the palms/fingers…great for helping with grip when it’s cold out!

><(((>

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I just picked up some Ice Armor gloves, Great Buy! Got mine at fleetfarm

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Does anyone use Seal Skinz anymore?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.