Fishing with the kids, What keeps them happy

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Being a dad who loves to fish but also has dad duties, I would like to share and have others share what seems to keep them content for awhile.
    When I go out with my 4 year old daughter there are some essentials to carry along.
    1. Her fish pole. She has been able to cast pretty well. I usually just keep a bobber and only a bobber on her line. Reason: add the hook and it tangles and catches dad much more often than any fish
    2. Pack some food, This helps in delaying the bordom factor.
    3. Color book and pencils or crayons come in very handy and keep easy in the boat.
    4. TP for all the little ladys out there its a MUST! A ice cream pail works out as well, but I have resorted to the hold you over the edge. Yup I look like a redneck I am sure.

Anyone got other suggestions? Glad to hear them cuz it just helps me stay out there just a little longer.
    PS. Watch the language…I have hear from the back of the boat on more than one occation, “Damn weeds” Man is she a parrot

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Hold them over the edge you say. My twin girls are 2 and made a half dozen short trips with me this year. I will have to keep this tip in mind.
    Sounds like you are on the right track. I love taking them out on the rivers because we can always pull up on a sand bar somewhere and there are endless things to keep them busy there and I can still catch a fish or two of the bank.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I started my nephew fishing early..
    He won his first tournament at age three.

He is twelve now and can weather an all day outing in the worst conditions better than myself. I don’t know where he gets that from .

Here is a few things I did when he was coming up and with other youngster’s.

1. I never force them to stay out.. even if you just launched the boat. I had a few times where fishing sounded good at home but once we got to the water the interest had hit the gutter. So home we went. (I made him sit in his room just kidding)….

2.Have a good supply of food, munchies, and drinks..

3. Take along live bait even if you don’t plan on using it.. He used to keep his hands in the bait well chasing minnows until they were all wrinkles.

4. Spin some stories and put the boat on shore and skip stones if the need arises..Do a turtle hunt..set a bear trap..Find a snipe nest..whatever make it fun for the little rascals…Do you remember your first fishing trip. make there’s better..

5. Just do as much teaching as they can tolerate about setting hooks , baiting lines, tying knots, casting rods..
    and if one happens to go over board…count to ten and take a deep breath and you can always buy another but if you freak the youngster out with a tongue lashing..It may be the last time they want to fish with you.

Well I think that about covers my rules on taking a little one fishing have fun and enjoy each others company..

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

and if one happens to go over board…count to ten and take a deep breath and you can always buy another

i hope your talking about rods there. i doubt the wife would be too happy if you told her that the kid went over board, but don’t worry, you’ll buy a new one

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

yup I was talking about the rods…if it is a kid you need to count to twenty…
    Thanks Jake

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

your welcome

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I dont know why but coloring books/paper have worked great on a few fishing adventures with little ones. I fished with quite a few kids and they always draw fish!! Keeps them busy intil FISH ON!!

I have found out the hard way you have to keep them busy (great birth control) LOL But I will do it again in A heart Beat!!!

Backtroller
    North Dakota

Well, I must say, I think I have the ultimate kid set up. I have 3 little boys, 7, 5, and 2. It goes without saying that I would rather hang out with them then anything else, but the close second is rolling through a willing school of ‘eyes!

I have a portable DVD plyer for the boat that bridges the lapse in time. This little setup has allowed me late nights on Mille Lacs, overnights on Ottertail and day trips all over SW MN and SD. While I have some reservatons about electronic entertainment on the water, my boys love riding in the boat and talk about the fishing with excitement. My 2 and 5 yr olds harrass me to take them fishing constantly and MOM has a hard time saying no! (A huge bonus)

The 7yr old has a gameboy that he brings and, of course, I always make sure there is LOTS of food and drink on board.

I have a bag of bags (Walmart, Target, etc) for poop and garbage!

I pack a 5 gallon bucket and one of those trainer toliet seats (keeps little ones from falling into the toliet) that fits perfectly on the pail. All 3 somehow need to poop when we get out there!

This summer the fellas enjoyed stripping down to nothing and sitting in the livewell “swimming” and generally enjoying themselves.

I cut down a piece of PVC to hold a 62″ golf unbrella for shade and always bring matchbox cars.

The key here is the kids. I agree that when they want to go, its time to go, but with a little extra stuff, you can increase your water time to almost as long as you can stand it! On the boat almost anything goes but KEEP CANDY TO A MINIMUM to NONE if possible……not too much needs to be said on that topic…..

I will be on the Mille Lacs on Sunday so keep your eye out for the glowing Blue Grestliner with 4 happy boys on it!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Hey Backtroller
    Do you have any room left in that boat for rods and tackle after you get all the toys and electronics on board? LOL
    That does sound like a great time for the kiddies though.

Gator Hunter

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

i was kinda wondering that myself gator, with looking at my growing baby boy, counting the months to the day when mom will let me take him out for the first time . I know that he is only 8 months now, but I have more plans for him that she knows of. i just spent some money on him for some camo . got him in the reeds colors. but I know that when he gets old enough to go in the boat, I am hoping to have a bigger boat to fit the tv, ps2, the home enterainment system, and a few other things. he ehehe, nope, i just hope he enjoys the outdoors as much as i do.

shane

Backtroller
    North Dakota

LOL! I just bought the Crestliner this fall and what a difference it makes! When you want to talk rigging sometime I have some secrets that will make you laugh!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

backtroller,

I may have to hit you up on them in a few years, because not only do i have the 8 month old boy, but my wife is pregnant again, so that would make a whole boat full, because my wife like to fish also.

shane

Backtroller
    North Dakota

Shane!
    Congratulations on the babies! There is nothing like it when they finally understand what you are doing out there.

You may need to pull that new boat home soon because Momma will be calling for the mini-van soon and a minivan is not a suitable towing rig.

So here is my advice: Buy it now. Go out to your favorite dealer and just pull the trigger. Yes, sure mom will be mad…well, I dont think there is a word to describe how mad but, mad nonetheless. But fear not my good man, because no matter how mad she gets, she wont want to be a single mom so your in! Now of course, no need to worry about the sex because she has little interest in that now and, judging by your timing, she may have learned a thing or two about your potency so I would guess you are looking a 2 years anyhow…so pull the trigger!

Now, lets not forget that we Love these women who provide us with our blessed tormening companions, so as soon as she will begin speaking to you again, sell the quiet evenings on the water napping while Papa Shane imparts manly wisdom and nuturing fatherhood upon your seedlings. Paint the picture of family time together in your own special world separated from the riff raff of the mainland. And finally, LET ‘ER DRIVE! When she hammers down that 115hp 4 strk and goes careening across the water free of the doldrums of motherhood………lets just say……don’t forget the condoms!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

backtroller,

let me first say, “NO MINI VANS IN MY GARAGE!!!!!” only my new 4 door, 4×4, 3/4 ton, shortbox chevy truck! she will not own a mini van. she will tell me to go and get her a truck. she will also keep her convertable also, for them days when dad has the babies.

second, if this turns out to be the little bouncing girl, we both are getting fixed. no problems there,

third, I have a feeling that if i don’t get a house first before the boat, I will be hung out in the wind and i will tell you this, me and my wife have never been in a fight, and if i came home with a new boat, that would be the first one.

I am just hoping for some good times in a new boat with my kids, i have paid attention to other fathers out on the water with thier kids and it makes me think. I know i will have my day soon.

thanks for the chuckles adn the soon to be memories.

shane

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Good tips guys. I would add a suggestion. Kids that are old enough to cast on their own often want to cast over and over again. Instead of the lecture, “You have to keep your line in the water if you want to catch a fish”, tie on a little beetle spin or a weedless plastic worm (Bill’s Scented Lures work great – the action is automatic – the child does not have to “work” the bait). That way they get to keep casting and still catch fish.

Here’s a pic of my son Brendan with a bass he caught on a Bill’s Scented Worm.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hey Backtroller,

Careful there buddy!……………I agree with a large percent of your humor, but I must throw caution to the wind…………..no matter the picture painted, some of ’em don’t get it. I’m living proof that no amount of proof or logic matters unless they get it, understand it, and agree with it. Otherwise, you may get permission…………..you may smell roses……………….but mine was waiting for the first moment to justify resentment………..and did just that. Where that led I care not to discuss but let’s just say I get plenty of dart practice!

Happy wife……………..Happy life………………..maybe.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

#1 Snacks and lots of them.
    #2 Let them play with the minnows.
    #3 Let them reel in most of the fish.
    #4 If they get restless, go exploring along shore to find treasures.
    #5 Duck when they cast.

These work for me.

Ferny

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.