Smokers, bring an ashtray please!

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I just finished reading through some of the legislation signed into law from the last session. (Minnesota) I found a new law attached to the “Natural Resources Regulatory Provisions” act that makes it unlawfull to deposit cigarette filters (or ashes)into the lakes or streams of Minnesota waters including the ice.

I guess I thought it was already illegal (Littering) but this bill clearly spells it out. Line 6.24, 10.20, 10.28 ect.. See link:

NATURAL RESOURCES REGULATORY PROVISIONS

Also noted in this bill is one more option for licensing your fishhouse. You may now display your MNDNR number. And last but not least are all of the rules for the Concealed Handgun Carry Law.

Happy Reading.

Jon J.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

A friend told me that cigarette filters NEVER deteriorate.
    They will still be in the lake 1000 years from now, if there is still a lake there. The ashes part is sort of unusual however.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Same thing for drivers in cars. Where do they think that those butts end up????

Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

I dont mind smoker’s as long as they clean up thier butts and dispose of them properly.

thumperw
    White Bear Lake, MN

Ashtrays? Isn’t that what the empty beer cans are for?!

2Fishy4U

I think your friend is right; the filters never deteriorate. I am a smoker and stick the cigarette butts in my back pocket. Hopefully someday I will quit completedly.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

I think your friend is right; the filters never deteriorate. I am a smoker and stick the cigarette butts in my back pocket. Hopefully someday I will quit completedly.

Hey, if you ever need any support in your efforts to try quitting, let me know and I’ll do anything I can to help you along. It’s a tough go………….but CAN be done. This is not to boast anything of myself………..I’m just a man………..but when I decided I was worth kicking the habit, I did. No one knows when you’re “some day” is, but you’ve GOT to WANT absence more than presence or the habit will kick you every time. That’s what makes it tough…………….the inward battle of your own justifications and tolerances. It forces you to be tough on you and that doesn’t come easy for most of us. However, with good friends and neverending encouragement, mostly from yourself, you can get it done. This July 28th marks my 5th year since I quit. There are others here who have done it too and I’m sure would be glad to support you in trying too!

Point is…………..when your time arrives, don’t be afraid to ask for that support. We have so many great people here………..you WILL find your encouragement within this community.

This offer is open to anyone who wants to quit! I’ll help any way I can!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

PLEASE MAKE THIS LAW MANDITORY NATION WIDE !!!

Thanks for the post Jon J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good post there Stillakid. It aint easy for sure….I too managed to quit 5-6 years back. Not sure who’s quote it was “It’s easy to quit smoking, I’ve done it a 100 times” (Jackie Gleason?) I just went cold turky and never looked back.

I should add that when I smoked, every butt went in the water. Weird, you never notice cig butts in the water and on the ground till you quit!!

Also, I look at this the same as a broken headlight thing. If law enforcement sees you tossing a cig butt overboard, it’s probable cause for them to come over and have a discussion with you….Just good to know the law.

Jon J.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Yep two years in September. Boy I still get a craven every once in a while but I know I can’t have even one. Think of it this way and it will help you quit. Everyday instead of buying that pack of smokes you save enough for a new Rapala, High Roller, Salmo or whatever your favorite crankbait is. . After a month you need a new tackle box. It sure is nice not having to have that pack when leaving home or not having to stop and get a pack. Here’s something else I did. When I finally decided to quit I put my last pack out of my last carton I was going to buy in my glove box. I figured it was kinda like a security blanket and yes it’s still there unopened.
    I used the nicotin gum in the orange flaver for about a month. Steve

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I just heard on the radio that out east they made it illegal to dispose of butts on the beach. They claimed that they picked up over 1 million butts a year.

Why isnt this littering? I always thought that it was illegal to toss out any trash. Arent people who toss butts out on streets, in water, or anywhere that isnt a trash can already breaking the law???

Just when I thought that I knew everything something like this comes along.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I thought so too. I remember there being signs along all of the highways that said $200 fine for littering. that was in the 70s. Should just raise it to an even grand now. I know of 2 different occasions durring the last year where garbage was picked up along side of the road and from its contents the names of the litterers were identified and they were given tickets. There again, my idea for local clubs organizing neigborhood watch programs on the water. See someone pitch a butt over the side, use the cell, call the warden. All he has to do is see that you are a smoker and then ask to see your butt.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

I just heard on the radio that out east they made it illegal to dispose of butts on the beach. They claimed that they picked up over 1 million butts a year.

Why isnt this littering? I always thought that it was illegal to toss out any trash. Arent people who toss butts out on streets, in water, or anywhere that isnt a trash can already breaking the law???

Just when I thought that I knew everything something like this comes along.

I think it always has been Dave but it’s the task of trying to enforce it. Like Jon mentioned, I was one of the “bad ones” who would chuck them in the water, in the sand on the beach, and out the car window. I didn’t like to use my ash tray and those ashes stunk up the car! (I always smoked with the window down, even in winter) However, if I had an officer behind me, I’d let that cherry burn out, stick the butt somewhere “for later” and then toss it! Inside, I knew what I was doing wasn’t right but didn’t care enough to change, at that time at least.

In the last year I decided gum wrappers DO matter too and quit throwing those as well as the gum itself when through with it. Now…………..that’s 2 of how many bad habits I can work on? Maybe that nail chewing thing should go too.

herb
    6ft under

Hey Kid2, here’s a sure cure for the nail chewing. Don’t change socks for a couple days.
    You were refering to toenails right?

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I too quit that nasty habit about 3 years ago. It sure is nice not being tied to that. No of course my pet peeve is when I’m following someone down the road, and they flick their butts out the window and hits my truck. Makes you want to go throttle them. Of course, being a peace loving man like I am, I just yell at them with my windows up. But I do agree that it is time that the police start enforcing this law. Next time you’re at a stoplight look by the curb and see how nice all of those butts look lying there. Sure makes you appreciate the beauty of a forest in the middle of nowhere.
    I too can lend support to anyone out there who is trying to quit. Remember: Pink lungs in 6 months!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Hey Kid2, here’s a sure cure for the nail chewing. Don’t change socks for a couple days.
    You were refering to toenails right?

Herb………..you been checking in with my neighbors again? Crackin’ me up buddy!

teamvexilar
    Richland Center, Wisconsin

I’d like to take this time to nominate Stillakid2 for the position of EFN Motivational Speaker. Almost everytime he posts something, it’s always positive towards other anglers and very enlightening to read and know theres still someone out there who gives an ats rass about people. Keep the positive comments comin buddy!

SetTheHook
    Iowa

I am a smoker, and always planning to quit, but have not yet succeeded. I’m a reformed slob smoker as well. I used to flick butts in the lakes or rivers all day long and finally one day a couple years ago looked out at a number of butts in one of my favorite lakes and thought to myself – damn, that’s ugly. So now I keep a container for butts in the boat.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

I am a smoker, and always planning to quit, but have not yet succeeded. I’m a reformed slob smoker as well. I used to flick butts in the lakes or rivers all day long and finally one day a couple years ago looked out at a number of butts in one of my favorite lakes and thought to myself – damn, that’s ugly. So now I keep a container for butts in the boat.

Your efforts truly make a difference and it does us good to know that there’s someone out there trying to do their best in recognizing choices. Thanks for letting us know!

As for planning to quit…………remember that you can find good support from those who’ve made it through the mine field right here on EFN.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nice title… if the shoe fits!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Nice title… if the shoe fits!

What the……..??? Oh man……………….you didn’t! YOU DID!!!! Oh no………….how do I use a when I have to , , , , and ???

LOL! I guess it’s better than “Mr. Sheephead”!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well, I guess “positive” could refer to an attitude OR a degree of certainty.

Like, I’m positive I’m !

Either way, you’re stuck with it!…lol

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Interesting precedence James. I am a little scared to see where it might go though.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Oh this isn’t the first time a visitor earned themselves a unique title…. Blue Fleck AKA The Great Caledonian got pinned with one awhile back.

It doesn’t happen often though.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Yeah, it take a really SPECIAL kind of guy to get a merit badge. But how one defines SPECIAL is anybodies guess. Hey SK2, welcome to an elite club………………I think.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Ummm…………Mr. Fleck………….ummmm…….what does a guy do next? I need to draw from your experience on this one!

James…………..I can only imagine…………..wherever you are, the FUN you’re having with this one!……………….You little LOL! I suppose…………..a little never hurt nobody……………..but if I see any “Little Red Engines” towing four box cars with a message…………..we’re going to have to have a little ………..mmm…….”chat”………I’m POSITI………………….very sure of it!!!

(Feelin’ the love………..feelin’ the love………..walkin’ the mile……..)

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

What does a guy do next? Suck it up and keep walkin’ the mile. LOL!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Aaaannd in this corner………..hailing from parts unknown, weighing in at……….just what he needs……….The Grrrrrreat Cale’doooooooniannnnnnnnnnnnn!!

Aaaaannd in THIS corner……….hailing from parts we’d rather forget about……….weighing in at a sluggish 50 over what he should be………the former blabbermouth champ,…………..Misssterrrr Pooooooooossssiiitivvvvve!!!!

Alright guys………….let’s make this a fair contest and play by the rules established by the governing sanction body, EFN……….first angler to hook a lamprey and stick it to his opponent will be declared the winner. This match has a 30 day time limit and may the best strategist be the victor!

Announcer:
    “Boy……. this should be a classic matchup of north vs. south, man vs. beast. While both have their experiences, I’d have to say that the Great Caledonian is the hands on favorite for this event after seeing him in last weeks matchup with Jeremy Crawford! He’s had plenty of time to review that videotape and prepare for this battle with Mr. Positive. I tell you, that ol’ windbag, Mr. Positive, had better have done his homework if he expects to leave this arena without a hitchhiker on his person!”

………..Okay, so I’ve got an imagination! Maybe I’ll grow out of it someday!!

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

As I read this all I could picture was Michael Buffer or Mean Gene Okerlund at the microphone. Kid , er I mean Mr Positive , you made my afternoon.
    Dino

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.